More from the series
Meet Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores’ coaching staff
The Miami Dolphins hired Brian Flores to be the team’s next head coach on Mon., Feb. 4. Here are the coaches that will make up his staff.
Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores will likely have Patrick Graham as his defensive coordinator. Here’s what you need to know about Graham:
▪ Age: 40.
▪ Years coaching in NFL: 10.
▪ Previous stops (and titles): Green Bay Packers (linebackers coach/run game coordinator, 2018), New York Giants (defensive line coach, 2016-2017), New England Patriots (linebackers coach, 2014-2015; defensive line coach, 2012-2013; linebackers coach, 2011; defensive assistant coach, 2010; defensive coaching assistant, 2009).
▪ Notable players coached: Clay Matthews, Jason Pierre-Paul, Jerod Mayo, Vince Wilfork.
▪ Quick thoughts: Graham has a decade of NFL experience, including seven years working under Bill Belichick in New England, but this will be his first chance to handle coordinator responsibilities. He has been part of success (see two Super Bowl appearances and one title with Patriots) and failures (see 6-9-1 in Green Bay this year, with the Packers defense ranked tied for 23rd allowing an average of 7.7 yards per play).
▪ From Flores: “Pat is a Yale guy. He’s extremely bright. He is great with the fundamentals and has very strong leadership ability. I can’t say enough good things about him. We worked together in New England and I know the type of passion he has and the way he works. We have a lot of the same core values and beliefs from a defensive standpoint.”