The judge had set Friday as the deadline for the government to finish redacting the Guantánamo forced-feeding videos. Wednesday, the Department of Justice asked for more time, possibly to appeal the release order itself.
The 9/11 case judge canceled this week's pretrial hearing at Guantánamo because of ongoing back and forth between Department of Justice special prosecutors and lawyers for an accused terrorist over a conflict of interest question at the death-penalty tribunal, lawyers who read the judge’s order said Wednesday.
Judge sets Oct. 17 for the government to finish redacting the forced-feeding videos and Oct. 20 for media organizations to jointly propose with Justice Department lawyers how they would be made public.
Federal court hearing on the medical treatment of a Guantánamo Bay hunger striker is underway in Washington, D.C., and a U.S. attorney says the military’s protocol has been changed to allow Abu Wa’el Dhiab to use a wheelchair to be transported for forced-feedings.
The head of the Organization of American States issued a statement Monday night urging member nations to resettle cleared Guantánamo detainees, a step toward helping the United States close its controversial prison in southeast Cuba.
So far the U.S. military’s aerial offensive in Iraq and Syria has killed, not captured suspected insurgents. But if a regional ally were to turn over Islamic State or Khorasan fighters to the United States, the White House has no intention of holding them at Guantánamo Bay, the prison the president keeps promising to close.
Defiant to the end, Osama bin Laden’s son-in-law was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison for acting as the voice of al-Qaida after the Sept. 11 terror attacks, telling a judge that there would be a price to pay for trying to “bury me alive.”