As Hurricane Irma spins closer toward the United States — and South Florida sits in its projected path — local groups and municipalities are rescheduling or canceling events and shuttering locations ahead of the storm. Here is an updated list of locations that have been closed or events that have been canceled or postponed:
- Monroe County has closed its schools, government offices and county parks starting Wednesday, Sept. 6, until further notice.
- All state courts will be closed for the remainder of the week. The United States District Courts in Key West, Miami, Broward, West Palm Beach and Fort Pierce is also closed starting Thursday, Sept. 7.
- Miami-Dade county offices will be closed Thursday and Friday, Sept. 8.
- City of Miami offices are closed Thursday and Friday. Regular garbage, trash and recycle pickup will run through Thursday. It will be canceled Friday.
- All Hallandale city services will be shut down as of Thursday, Sept. 7 at the end of the day. All parks and facilities will be closed after the night of Thursday, Sept. 7.
- The North Miami Express Shuttle Bus will stop services on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017. North Miami government offices will be closed Thursday, Sept. 7 and Friday, Sept. 8.
- Coral Gables will continue regular trash schedules Thursday, Sept. 7 and Friday, Sept. 8.
- Doral will stop trolley service Friday, Sept. 8. City offices will close Thursday, Sept. 7 and Friday, Sept. 8.
Never miss a local story.
- Miami-Dade public schools will be be shut down after class ends Wednesday, Sept. 6.
- Broward and Palm Beach public schools will be closed Thursday, Sept. 7 and Friday, Sept. 8.
- The city of North Miami canceled all city events starting Thursday, Sept. 7 though Monday, Sept. 11. It is also distributing sandbags to North Miami residents starting Wednesday, Sept. 6, at the North Miami Motor Pool at 1855 NE 142 Street.
- Basilica School of St. Mary Star of the Sea in Key West will be closed Wednesday, Sept. 6, through Monday, Sept. 11. The Archdiocese of Miami said all of its elementary and high schools in Miami-Dade and Broward counties will be closed on Thursday, Sept. 7, and Friday, Sept. 8. Saint Thomas University will also be closed starting Thursday.
- Miami Country Day School will be closed from Wednesday through the end of the week.
- Ransom Everglades and Gulliver Schools will be closed Thursday and Friday. All after-school activities at Gulliver are canceled for Wednesday. Ransom Everglades has canceled all school activities from Thursday until further notice. Scheck Hillel Community School is also closed Monday.
- The University of Miami and Florida International University canceled classes for the rest of the week starting Wednesday. UM is evacuating its Coral Gables campus by Friday evening, and UHealth outpatient clinical operations and the Miller School of Medicine classes will be closed through Tuesday.
- Saint Thomas University canceled classes Thursday through the weekend. UM also told its students to evacuate South Florida if possible.
- Miami-Dade College canceled classes and special events Thursday through Sunday, then announced it would move up the closure to Wednesday at 4 p.m. Barry University is also closed on all campuses throughout the state and Caribbean starting Wednesday at 4 p.m.
- Johnson and Wales University said it would close its North Miami Campus starting Thursday.
- Keiser University’s campuses in Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach will be closed starting Thursday. Its statewide campuses will close Friday.
- Broward College will be closed starting Thursday.
- FIU said employees are expected to report to work Wednesday, Sept. 6. The university will closed as of Thursday, Sept. 7. All special events on campus, including the Saturday football game, are canceled.
- ACT exams
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Miami-Dade will close all five of its clubs Thursday, Sept. 7 and Friday, Sept. 8.
- Pridelines' Community Center has closed until further notice as of Wednesday.
- Community Health of South Florida Inc. closed its Marathon and Tavernier health centers in the Keys per evacuation orders, and all 11 of its health centers will be closed Thursday and Friday. The Doris Ison Health Center (10300 SW 216 St.) will remain open only for urgent care, its crisis stabilization unit and its pharmacy.
- Miami Parking Authority is closing its offices starting Thursday, and its Courthouse Center Garage and Cultural Center Garage will close Wednesday night. College Station Garage James L. Knight Center Garage will both close once a Hurricane Warning is issued.
- Cleveland Clinic Florida medical offices in Broward and Palm Beach counties will be closed starting at noon Friday. Cleveland Clinic’s Weston emergency department will remain open.
- City National Bank will be open Thursday but closed Friday and Saturday at all of its Florida locations.
- AT&T is closing all of its Miami-Dade and Broward stores starting noon Thursday. Key West, Miami Beach, Brickell, Deerfield Beach and some Fort Lauderdale locations have already closed.
- Sawgrass Mills Mall will be closed starting 6 p.m. Thursday.
- The Miami International Auto Show, which was scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 9, has been postponed.
- The Children’s Trust Family Expo, which was also scheduled for Saturday, has been postponed, per a press release.
- A Hialeah Park concert featuring Monsieur Periné and Danay scheduled for Saturday night has been postponed.
- The Broward Sheriff’s Office is canceling a Patriot Day event on the anniversary of Sept. 11., as is South Miami Senior High School.
- The Fast Lane Friday event scheduled at the Homestead-Miami Speedway for Friday, Sept. 8 was canceled.
- The Arsht Center canceled its ArtsLaunch2017 event scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 9. DWNTWN Art Days was also canceled.
- The Archdiocese of Miami has postponed a Mass celebrating the feast of Our Lady of Charity scheduled for Friday, Sept. 8.
- A Hollywood Commission workshop meant to discuss the renaming of streets scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 6, will be postponed.
- A City of Miami meeting to discuss assisting with relief efforts for Texas residents affected by Hurricane Harvey scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017, has been canceled.
- The Dade County Bar Association Gala was rescheduled to Oct. 21.
- The Consulate General of Brazil in Miami canceled its Thursday event at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts.
- Doral city events have been cancelled, starting Thursday, Sept. 7.
- The Airplane Shop grand opening scheduled for Friday has been postponed until further notice.
Parks, museums, airports
- Fairchild Garden in Coral Gables said it will be open Wednesday but will be closed Thursday, Sept. 7 through Sunday, Sept. 10.
- The Coral Springs Museum of Art will be closed starting Thursday, Sept. 7.
- Biscayne National Park will close its visitor and administrative facilities starting 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5, and Keys National Marine Sanctuary is also shutting down ahead of the hurricane.
- HistoryMiami will be closed starting Thursday, Sept. 7, through Sunday, Sept. 10.
- Vizcaya Museum and Gardens are closed starting Wednesday, Sept. 6.
- Key West International Airport will be closed starting the night of Wednesday, Sept. 6.
- All parks in the City of Pembroke Pines will be closed as of 10 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5, 2017. All games, practices, and events have been cancelled until further notice.
- Gulfstream Park has cancelled live racing Thursday through Sunday. Gulfstream will offer simulcast wagering and keep its casino open through Friday.
- FIU’s Wolfsonian Museum will be closed starting Wednesday until further notice.
- The National Shrine of Our Lady of Charity will be closed starting Thursday, with all Thursday and Friday events canceled.
- The Museum of Discovery and Science in Fort Lauderdale will be closed starting Thursday at 5 p.m.
- The Coral Gables Art Cinema will be closed starting Wednesday, and the Coral Gables Museum will be closed starting Thursday.
- The Norton Museum of Art will be closed starting Thursday.
- The Institute of Contemporary Art will be closed starting Wednesday at 3 p.m.
- All Books & Books locations will be closed starting Thursday until the storm passes.
- Zoo Miami will also be closed Thursday onward.
- The Frost Museum of Science and PAMM will be closed starting Thursday.
- Bluewater Books and Charts will be closed starting Friday.
- Hallandale Beach parks and facilities will be closed after the night of Thursday, Sept. 7.
- Doral parks will be closed Thursday.