▪ Military veterans and their families can camp at steep discounts throughout the month of November at Broward’s Easterlin and Quiet Waters parks. For more information, call Easterlin at 954-357-5190 or Quiet Waters at 954-357-5100.
▪ Biscayne National Park offers new and expanded free programs from Nov. 22 through April 30. They include manatee walks, shoreline snorkeling, guided canoe trips, dip-netting programs, Family Fun Fests and lionfish dissecting. Free trolley transportation is provided on weekends from Homestead. For a schedule and more information, visit www.nps.gov/bisc.
▪ Captain Bouncer Smith will conduct a seminar on kite-fishing and other live-bait methods Nov. 20 from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Dusky Sport Center, 110 N. Bryan Rd., Dania Beach. Admission is $15, redeemable for store merchandise. Call 954-922-8890.
▪ The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission will conduct two free hunter safety courses on Nov. 23. Students must complete the Internet portion ahead of time. Courses will be held from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. aat Gun World of South Florida, 1700 Powerline Rd., Deerfield Beach and from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Kiffney’s Firearms & Indoor Range, mile marker 106, U.S.1, Key Largo. To register, go to MyFWC.com/HunterSafety.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
▪ The Hollywood Hills Saltwater Fishing, Science and Social Club will meet Dec. 3 at 7 p.m. at Shenanigan’s East Side Pub, 1300 S. Federal Highway, Dania Beach. UM professor Harry DeFerrari will discuss sound in oceanographic research. For more information, visit www.meetup.com/Hollywood-Hills-Saltwater-Fishing-Science-and-Social-Club.
▪ Big Cypress National Preserve will celebrate its 40th anniversary Dec. 5 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. with food, drink and live music at the Collier County Museum, 3331 Tamiami Trail East, Naples. Tickets are $75 and $125. The preserve will hold its Swamp Heritage Festival Dec. 6 from 10:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Big Cypress Welcome Center, 33000 Tamiami Trail East. Ochopee. Admission is free. For more information, visit www.nps.gov/bicy.
▪ Join the Friends of Fakahatchee for a holiday boat cruise from Everglades National Park to Fakahatchee Island on Dec.22. Tickets are $80, and reservations are required. Visit www.orchidswamp.org.
To our readers
This page is a regular weekly feature focusing on Florida outdoors adventures. Email scocking@MiamiHerald.com.