▪ Meet celebrities and release billfish in the Jimmy Johnson National Billfish Championship, held through Saturday in Key Largo. Headquarters is the Big Chill, mile-marker 104, U.S. 1. Entry fee is $4,500 per team. Call 305-255-3500 or visit www.questforthering.com.
▪ Captain Bouncer Smith will conduct a seminar on sailfishing at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Dusky Sport Center, 110 N. Bryant Rd., Dania Beach. Admission is $15, redeemable for store merchandise. Call 954-922-8890.
▪ University of Miami fisheries scientist Jerry Ault and conservationist Adam Marton will conduct a free program on tarpon research from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday at the Fly Shop of Miami, 8243 S. Dixie Highway. Call 305-669-5851.
▪ Kids aged 8-12 and their parents are invited to Junior Ranger Day on Saturday at three areas of Everglades National Park. Ranger-led activities and trips will be conducted at the Flamingo, Royal Palm and Shark Valley entrances. For more information, visit www.nps.gov/ever or call 305-242-7753 for Shark Valley/Royal Palm, and 239-695-2945 for Flamingo.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
▪ The Key West Fishing Tournament kicks off its 50th anniversary April 3-5, awarding $5,000 in cash for 15 species. Entry fee is $250 per boat; $50 extra for the yellowtail snapper division. A welcome party will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. April 3 at VFW Post 3911, 2200 N. Roosevelt Blvd., Key West. Fishing is April 4-5. For more information, call 305-294-8843 or visit www.keywestfishingtournament.com.
▪ The West Palm Beach Fishing Club will hold a Marine Yard Sale from 7 a.m. to noon April 11 at the clubhouse, 201 Fifth Street, West Palm Beach. Admission is free. Call 561-832-6780.
▪ Make plans to compete in the new Yamaha/Contender Miami Sportfishing Tournament held April 23 and 25 at Miami Beach Marina. Release billfish and weigh dolphin, kingfish, tuna, cobia and wahoo for points and prize money. Basic entry fee is $500 before April 2, $600 after. For more information, visit www.miamisportfish.com or call 305-598-2525.
▪ Women anglers are invited to compete in the Ladies’ Fish-Off held May 28-31 in Pompano Beach. Cash will be awarded for the heaviest blackfin tuna, cobia, dolphin, kingfish and wahoo. For more information, visit www.ladiesfishoff.com.
▪ The non-profit Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF) will conduct four lionfish derbies awarding $3,500 in cash prizes. Events will be held June 27 at Green Turtle Cay in the Bahamas; July 18 in Fort Lauderdale; Aug. 15 in Palm Beach County; and Sept. 12 in Key Largo. For more information, visit www.reef.org/lionfish/derbies.
To our readers
This page is a regular weekly feature focusing on Florida outdoors adventures. Email scocking@MiamiHerald.com.