UF fires back at Scott, says presidential pick fits Trump’s education agenda
The University of Florida mounted a strikingly aggressive public defense of its presidential search Friday night, forcefully rebutting criticisms from U.S. Sen. Rick Scott while simultaneously aligning presidential finalist Stuart Bell with the Trump administration’s education agenda.
In back-to-back posts, UF’s official X account issued direct responses to remarks from Scott and U.S. Education Secretary Linda McMahon — an unusual posture for a public university that has avoided openly weighing in on comments from prominent Republican officials.
McMahon’s post earlier on Friday had amplified a scathing letter from Scott criticizing UF’s presidential search as overly secretive and bashed the university over the substantial $2 million severance payout now owed to outgoing Interim President Donald Landry.
Scott notably did not criticize Bell over DEI, unlike the conservative attacks that doomed former UF finalist Santa Ono last year. But McMahon’s intervention arrived as conservative activists increasingly scrutinized Bell’s record on diversity initiatives during his decade leading the University of Alabama.
In an extraordinary move, President Donald Trump’s top education official publicly signaled the ideological expectations for the next leader of Florida’s flagship university. “Florida has led the fight to get discriminatory DEI out of our schools and universities,” McMahon said. “UF deserves a president who will continue to drive those reforms.”
UF’s response boiled down to this: Bell fits the bill.
“@EDSecMcMahon is correct. DEI is discriminatory by design, antithetical to the purpose of a university, and incompatible with the pursuit of truth,” the university wrote. “Dr. Stuart Bell stands with Secretary McMahon, the Board, and the people of Florida on this. He is ready to lead UF forward as a university defined by merit, rigor, and the pursuit of truth.“
In a separate response to Scott, UF said it was “categorically untrue” that the university violated state law to shield the search from public scrutiny, arguing confidentiality is necessary to attract top candidates and noting that a 2022 state law explicitly allows search committee deliberations and interviews to remain private during the early phases of a presidential search.
The double-barreled response underscored how much more forcefully UF is promoting Bell than it did Ono, the former University of Michigan leader whose failed UF presidential candidacy unraveled amid fierce conservative backlash over his past support for DEI initiatives.
Unlike Ono’s bid — which UF leaders initially defended cautiously through procedural statements and newspaper columns — university leaders now appear to be rolling out a far more coordinated public campaign on Bell’s behalf. Staffers for Gov. Ron DeSantis, who has endorsed Bell as “a great selection,” circulated UF’s social media responses to Scott and McMahon.
UF also used its response to McMahon to tout the university’s embrace of higher education policies embraced by Republicans, including “institutional neutrality” rules discouraging university leaders from weighing in on political issues. The university further highlighted anti-DEI provisions embedded into its presidential contracts, saying they ensure “no university funds, public or private, will underwrite DEI at this institution.”
Scott fired back Saturday, dismissing UF’s explanation of the search process as evasive.
“UF’s lawyers have put together a fine crock of legalese that does absolutely NOTHING to answer the questions the people are asking about this candidate search,” Scott wrote on X.
“The multimillion-dollar amount, lack of transparency, and lopsided process here ALL still speak for themselves. Not to mention that this all appears to be a sham since the school is acting as if the new presidency is a foregone conclusion,” Scott said. “The questions raised still stand, and they NEED to be answered.”