Miami Beach

Fire broke out at Carbone. It’s Miami Beach restaurant’s second blaze in three years

Carbone opened a location in Miami Beach in 2021. Since then, two fires have broken out in the exhaust system.
Carbone opened a location in Miami Beach in 2021. Since then, two fires have broken out in the exhaust system. World Red Eye/Miami Herald file

A fire broke out in the kitchen at South Beach hot spot Carbone Miami on Tuesday evening, forcing diners and staff to evacuate.

The restaurant’s exhaust system overheated around 7:45 p.m., Miami Beach spokesperson Matt Kenny said. No one was injured and the fire was quickly put out.

Kenny said the fire is still under investigation and a report had not been finalized Wednesday morning.

Video posted on social media showed fire rescue workers responding as restaurant staff and onlookers gathered on the street nearby.

Representatives for Carbone and its parent company, Major Food Group, did not immediately respond to inquiries about when the restaurant at 49 Collins Ave. would reopen.

This was the second fire at Carbone since it opened its Miami Beach location in January 2021. In July of that year, a fire in the exhaust system broke out around 9:30 p.m., causing an evacuation.

Officials said that fire started in the hood, the ventilator above the stove. The restaurant was closed for several days.

Carbone was one of multiple Major Food Group projects to open an iteration of its New York City-based restaurant in recent years.

The Italian eatery has more than 200 seats and is known as a go-to location for celebrities and one of the most difficult spots in the Miami area to secure a reservation.

READ MORE: ‘Miami is on fire.’ New York restaurants swoop into South Florida despite the pandemic

Carbone Miami in South Beach.
Carbone Miami in South Beach. Major Food Group
Aaron Leibowitz
Miami Herald
Aaron Leibowitz covers the city of Miami Beach for the Miami Herald. He was part of a team recognized as a 2026 Pulitzer Prize Finalist for Local Reporting for coverage of Brightline’s safety record. He also contributed to the Herald’s Pulitzer Prize-winning coverage of the Surfside condo collapse in 2021. He is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School’s Toni Stabile Center for Investigative Journalism.
Get unlimited digital access
#ReadLocal

Try 1 month for $1

CLAIM OFFER