The parents of two preschoolers who were allegedly molested by a teenager at the Little Haiti daycare they attended have sued the school, contending officials did not protect the two young girls.
The suit, filed Friday in Miami-Dade Circuit Court, alleges that Bola Childcare and Learning Center, 70 NE 80th Terrace, “breached its duties” by not providing a safe environment for the preschoolers.
Last week, Miami police announced the arrest of a 16-year-old boy, who was charged with two counts of sexual battery on a minor. The 16-year-old, whom the Herald is not naming due to his age, was first arrested Aug. 4, 2014.
A 5-year-old girl at the school had come forward, saying she went to the bathroom and then someone turned off the lights. The teen came in and forced her to perform a sexual act on him, according to his arrest report. In July, a 5-year-old girl told detectives that when she was 3, the teen followed her into the bathroom and forced her to perform a sexual act on her.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Both girls attended Bola Childcare and Learning Center. School officials did not return a telephone call from the Herald on Tuesday.
Detectives announced the teen’s arrest this month because the believe there may be more victims.
Miami attorney Aaron Karger and Fort Lauderdale attorney Samuel Coffey filed the suits.
The first suit is filed on behalf of O.E., the parent of a 5-year-old girl identified as A.C. The suit claims the school “had actual and/or constructive knowledge that [the teen] had in the past molested other children, yet it allowed [the teen] access to children including A.C. and failed to warn the children and their parents of the danger.”
“As a direct and proximate result of the negligence of the Defendant, the Plaintiff has suffered severe mental and emotional distress and anguish, humiliation and fear,” said the suit, which seeks in excess of $15,000. “These losses are either permanent or continuing and the Plaintiff will suffer the losses in the future.”
The second suit was filed on behalf of D.Y., the parent of a girl identified as W.L. The suit also claims the school was negligent.
In both cases, the attorneys are asking for a jury trial.