Service: Digital publisher of daily news and reviews about cars, trucks and motorcycles
Years in business: 12
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Management team: Philippe Daix, founder and president; Marc McNaab, editor-in-chief; Mihai Aperghis, marketing manager; Benoit Dupont, IT manager
Employees: 10 (two Florida-based)
Sales: TopSpeed achieved its goal of $500,000 in 2010 and it has seen 20 percent year-over-year growth since.
- 2004: Launched as speedwheels.com
- 2005: Domain name changed to TopSpeed.com
- 2006: Revenue and number of visitors per month reached “a turning point” with 500,000 unique readers per month and revenue of about $100,000
- 2007: Monthly uniques surpass 1,000,000-per-month mark
- 2014: TopSpeed iPhone app launches. Website brings in upwards of 4,000,000 unique visitors per month on average.
- 2015: Ten-year anniversary of TopSpeed
- 2016: Six full-time writers on staff who produce an average of 100 articles per week.
Keys to success: TopSpeed founder Philippe Daix said the company’s goal is to deliver high-quality informational and entertaining content. Amid the fast evolution of how content is distributed online, Daix said TopSpeed has benefited from a cautious approach. “We have been taken aback by these latest trends, but as a small business I prefer to be a follower than jump both feet first into new trends.”
Road ahead: Daix said the next steps for TopSpeed are to continue to monetize the business despite mounting challenges posed by the changing media landscape and grow beyond country and language barriers by investing in TopSpeed.in in India and creating a Spanish-language version of the digital publication.