Video: How to stuff a turkey cavity for Thanksgiving
Last-minute Thanksgiving advice is just a call, click or tweet away:
▪ USDA Meat and Poultry: 888-674-6854 (English and Spanish), fsis.usda.gov.
▪ National Turkey Federation: eatturkey.com.
▪ Jennie-O: Live chat at jennieo.com.
▪ Honeysuckle White Turkey: 800-810-6325, honeysucklewhite.com.
▪ Crisco: 877-367-7438 (English and Spanish).
▪ Fleischmann’s Yeast: breadworld.com.
▪ Pillsbury: pillsbury.com.
▪ Land O’Lakes: landolakes.com.
▪ Libby’s Pumpkin: 800-854-0374, verybestbaking.com/Libbys.
▪ Jones Dairy Farm: stuffingandmore.com.
▪ U.S. Potato Board: potatogoodness.com.
▪ Uncooked turkey can harbor salmonella. Clean up any raw juices with hot, soapy water, and take care not to contaminate other foods via cutting boards or knives.
▪ An instant-read thermometer is the best way to tell if your turkey is safely cooked to 165 degrees. Insert it in the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone.
▪ Perishable foods should not be left at room temperature for more than two hours. Refrigerate leftovers promptly in shallow containers for quick cooling.
▪ You can safely thaw a turkey by submerging it in cold water that you change every 30 minutes. It will thaw at a rate of 30 minutes a pound, or about 6 to 8 hours for a 12- to 16-pound bird.
Use these USDA-recommended times instead of those found in older cookbooks and references. The times are for an oven temperature of 325 degrees and assume the turkey is unstuffed and fridge-cold:
▪ 8 to 12 pounds: 2 3/4 to 3 hours.
▪ 12 to 14 pounds: 3 to 3 3/4 hours.
▪ 14 to 18 pounds: 3 3/4 to 4 1/4 hours.
▪ 18 to 20 pounds: 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 hours.
▪ 20 to 24 pounds: 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
<bullet>Winn-Dixie, Whole Foods, Sedano’s and Milam’s are among the supermarkets that will be open Thanksgiving Day (reduced hours in most cases; call ahead).
▪ Amazon Prime Now offers one- and two-hour delivery in Miami from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., including Thanksgiving. Ingredients, kitchen essentials, favorite games, DVDs and more: amazon.com/primenow.
Scores of South Florida restaurants are offering holiday menus on Thursday. Find times and menus at MiamiHerald.com/living.