The Dolphins on Monday traded defensive end Chris McCain to the New Orleans Saints for a conditional seventh-round draft pick.
Signed originally by the Dolphins as an undrafted free agent out of California, McCain had seven tackles and two sacks in 18 games over two seasons. Defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said recently that McCain had proven himself as a pass rusher but still needed to improve against the run.
THURSDAY QB PLAN
Coach Adam Gase said Thursday that quarterback snaps during Thursday’s fourth and final preseason game against Tennessee will be split pretty evenly between Zac Dysert and rookie seventh-round pick Brandon Doughty.
“If for some reason, Zac has a heavy play amount in the first half, maybe Doughty goes in early,” Gase said.
Gase said against the Titans, he won’t play backup Matt Moore, who returned to practice after being a sidelined more than a week with a concussion. He also said Ryan Tannehill is unlikely to play.
Dysert played ahead of Doughty against Atlanta last Thursday and completed 6 of 7 passes for 57 yards.
THIS AND THAT
▪ Gase said he had no immediate update on left guard Laremy Tunsil and receivers DeVante Parker and Kenny Stills, who left practice for undisclosed reasons. Stills’ back locked up, but he’s expected to be fine, and Tunsil’s issue is not believed to be serious.
▪ Linebacker Zach Vigil, who played a lot early last season, is expected to begin the season on PUP as he recovers from a back injury. The Dolphins are hopeful he will be ready to play as soon as he’s eligible to come off PUP after six weeks of the regular season, or very soon after that.
▪ Besides linebacker Jelani Jenkins (knee), others who missed practice included defensive linemen Ndamukong Suh (ankle, not considered serious); Earl Mitchell (calf), Terrence Fede (knee), Dion Jordan (knee); linebackers Vigil and James-Michael Johnson (thigh); center Mike Pouncey (hip); running backs Isaiah Pead (hamstring) and Damien Williams (ill); and cornerback Chris Culliver (knee).
▪ Gase said “right guard,” where Jermon Bushrod has been starting, “has been a little inconsistent.”
▪ Kicker Andrew Franks found out he had won the kicker job when his grandmother texted him on Saturday that undrafted rookie Marshall Koehn had been cut.
Franks shanked a 37-yard field goal against Atlanta but said that including practice, he believes he has missed only four field goals in more than 50 attempts since practice began in late July.
▪ Suh, asked about 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick refusing to stand for the national anthem, said: “You’ve got to respect the man’s opinion as well as his actions.”