Cameron Wake has “done everything [the Dolphins have] asked” since tearing his Achilles tendon last fall, and his rehab is ahead of schedule, Dolphins football czar Mike Tannenbaum said Friday.
“He’s really exceeded expectations, in terms of where he is and where our doctors thought he would be when he got hurt,” Tannebaum said before participating in the Fins Weekend golf tournament. “Cam is the consummate pro, the consummate Dolphin, and we’re lucky he’s here.”
The Dolphins remain cautiously optimistic that Wake will be ready for the first game of the season. They were encouraged enough by his recovery to award him a two-year, $15 million contract extension earlier this month.
“We’re thrilled we were able to do that,” Tannenbaum said. “Someone like Cam, he’s the epitome of what we want our program to be about, not only on the field, but off the field.”
Never miss a local story.
Wake, now 34, ranks second in team history in career sacks, but won’t be asked to carry as large a role in 2016 as in years past.
The Dolphins have great depth at the position, signing Mario Williams, Andre Branch and Jason Jones in free agency. The team had identified defensive end as an area to upgrade back in January, Tannenbaum said.
And it could get even deeper if Dion Jordan is ever reinstated by the league. Jordan remains suspended indefinitely after failing multiple drugs tests. When asked about Jordan, Tannenbaum simply said “he’s not eligible. It’s a league matter.”
▪ The Dolphins return to the practice field Tuesday for the start of voluntary organized team activities. Will safety Reshad Jones, who has stayed away from team headquarters to protest his contract situation, be there?
“You’d have to check with him on that,” Tannenbaum said. “Contract negotiations isn’t anything we’d ever comment on.”
▪ Cornerback Ifo Ekpre-Olomu has been cleared to practice after missing his entire rookie season with a knee injury, and will participate next week.