Cameron Wake signed a contract extension Saturday night that accomplished two things:
1. It keeps him under contract through the 2017 season.
And 2. It presumably lowered his $9.8 million cap figure in 2016.
Wake, whose 70 career sacks are second in Dolphins history to only Jason Taylor, said Saturday that he is “really excited about what’s on the horizon, for both myself and the Dolphins.”
Wake was in the last year of a contract that was set to pay him $8.3 million in base salary this year.
His new deal is for $15 million over two, with $10 million guaranteed, as ESPN first reported.
The deal gives the Dolphins both cap savings and puts Wake’s average annual pay more in line with what the franchise believes is his market value.
Wake turned 34 in January and is coming off the biggest injury of his career. Wake tore his Achilles tendon last October, and needed major surgery to repair it.
“We are pleased that we were able to reach an extension with Cam,” said Dolphins football czar Mike Tannenbaum. “He sets the right example both on and off the field, working his way up from an undrafted college free agent to a four-time Pro Bowl selection. We are excited how he will fit in this new defense and continue to be a key contributor.”
Wake was present but did little during the Dolphins’ voluntary veterans minicamp late last month. Earlier Saturday, Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph said “Cam looks fine,” but “we won’t know until training camp starts. But if I’m guessing, he’ll be ready to go Week 1.”