Jorge Iran Montero was waiting around Miami’s Versailles restaurant for his latest victims. When a Coral Gables couple pulled up and ordered food, police said, Montero followed them home.
They pulled into their Navarre Avenue driveway. The woman entered the home through the front door. But before her husband could get in through the garage, Montero put a gun to his head, police said.
“This guy pushes him. Puts a gun to the back of his head,” said Coral Gables police spokeswoman Kelly Denham. “Then his wife comes over.”
Montero made off with their jewelry and fled in a white Mercedes, she said.
Never miss a local story.
Tips quickly came in, according to police, and Montero, 48, was identified as the culprit of the July 20 armed robbery. Investigators didn’t have to look far for him. Two weeks after the Gables robbery, they discovered Montero was jailed after an undercover sting by federal agents uncovered a plot to steal and sell cocaine.
According to the feds, Montero planned to imitate police and kill drug dealers.
During the sting, Montero told agents, “Me and my two partners ... when we go in we’re police. We are dressed down ... We talking on walkie-talkies. I’m a cop.”
Montero also threatened the lives of the two people the feds tricked him into ripping off, they said
“I like to go deep ... I will get that and keep them Colombians. I will torture them and make them take me somewhere else. I will torture them. I even got a place to take them. Me, I’m the first one in and I got a silencer,” he told federal agents.
Now Montero is facing prison time for conspiring to possess and distribute five kilos of cocaine and for weapons possession. Gables police are expected to file home invasion robbery and firearm charges.
Montero’s criminal history is littered with burglary charges, at least six of them in Miami-Dade County and Monroe County since 1985. He has been convicted five times, Florida Department of Law Enforcement records show. Most recently, in 2003, he was charged with credit card fraud by Hialeah police. That case was dropped.
The complaint filed against Montero and cohorts Jeannie Sosa and Jose Raul Choo last month say agents were alerted to Montero’s plan on July 10 by a worker at the Seybold building in downtown Miami who knew Montero and thought he was “casing” the store.
Three days later, federal agents were in discussion with Montero about ripping off five kilos of cocaine from a Broward County warehouse. One of the discussions took place in a La Carreta Restaurant in Miramar.
Agents and Montero, according to the complaint, spent the next few weeks talking, meeting and setting up the ripoff. The heist was planned for Aug. 3. When the day arrived, the complaint says Montero told federal agents that his police vehicle had broken down and he needed to use one of their cars.
After reaching a warehouse near Commercial Boulevard and Hiatus Road just after 10 p.m., the feds swopped in and arrested Montero, Sosa and Choo. They recovered a 9 mm Glock pistol, a .45 caliber Colt pistol, a .380 caliber Luger handgun and ammunition.
The complaint filed in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida, said Choo and Montero waived their rights and admitted to taking part in the conspiracy.