When Matthew Gonzalez was 8 months old, his pediatrician noticed that he was having difficulty moving. Matthew lacked muscle tone and wasn’t breastfeeding properly. His grandfather, a medical pathologist, suggested Matthew’s parents, Oscar Gonzalez and Mercedes Ubaga, take him to what was known then as Miami Children’s Hospital. He was evaluated there and eventually diagnosed with a severe case of autism. He has been a patient there ever since.
For about 70 percent of epileptic patients, seizures are controlled with medication or a rigorous diet. The other 30 percent have intractable epilepsy and do not respond to medication. Surgery may be an option.
Aneurysms are one type of abnormal brain lesion involving the arteries, blood vessels or circulatory system that can lead to a potentially fatal rupture. Another is called an Arteriovenus Malformation (AVM). Both have the potential to be fatal.
DDo It seems that there’s some sort of sunscreen controversy every summer. And with its annual Sunscreen Guide, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) is usually behind it. For 2015, the EWG went beyond shedding light on the potential health risks associated with sunscreen, and actually pointed fingers at several well-known and widely available brands.
A judge ruled Wednesday that a hospital assessment that pays for the expansion of the state's Medicaid program did not require a supermajority vote of the Legislature to be enacted and is therefore constitutional.
As students head back to school, fall sports are getting into full swing. This is the time for parents to become educated about concussions. Concussions occur most commonly in football and girls’ soccer, but they can occur in any sport or even during normal daily activities.