The New York Giants’ Eli Manning strafed the Dolphins pass defense for a 56.85-point game Monday night, third-best of the season, to win Week 14 honors in the Miami Herald’s Passer Success System (PASS) NFL quarterbacks rankings. New England’s Tom Brady maintains a comfy-for-now lead over second place Carson Palmer of Arizona with three weeks to play. Miami’s Ryan Tannehill dipped one more spot, to 15th place. Our rankings are cumulative and use a simple formula, unchanged since its inception in 1998, that factors accuracy, yardage, TD/interception ratio and team result. Most ratings including the NFL’s and ESPN’s are complicated and percent based, allowing players who miss half a season to still win a title. Our rankings place a premium on consistently productive passers who avoid injury or benching. Find our updated Top 20 in this space every Sunday.
MIAMI HERALD PASS RANKINGS
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
1. Tom Brady, NE136.30495.90
2. Carson Palmer, ARI341.50451.15
3. Drew Brees, NO447.60439.00
4. Philip Rivers, SD215.15429.80
5. Russell Wilson, SEA748.60405.75
6. Eli Manning, NYG1056.85404.75
7. Andy Dalton, CIN50.95390.50
8. Kirk Cousins, WAS837.00390.30
9. Matt Ryan, ATL618.20387.25
10. Aaron Rodgers, GB1130.90375.75
11. Matthew Stafford, DET1229.25370.45
12. Derek Carr, OAK912.75363.65
13. Cam Newton, CAR1536.25343.10
14. Alex Smith, KC1321.55339.70
15. Ryan Tannehill, MIA1423.80332.75
16. Ryan Fitzpatrick, NYJ1733.15327.45
17. Blake Bortles, JAC1628.50327.20
18. Ben Roethlisberger, PIT2037.10308.95
19. Jay Cutler, CHI1928.75303.35
20. Teddy Bridgewater, MIN2233.75295.65
(*) Bubble: Joe Flacco, BAL, 279.55.
(*) Week’s best: Manning, NYG, 56.85 (27-31, 337, 4-0 in win).
(*) Week’s worst: Matt Cassel, DAL, minus-0.30 (13-29, 114, 0-1 in loss).
Note: Thursday and Saturday results included in following week’s chart.