▪ 1. NFL: Brady’s hand a Sunday mystery: It’ll be Patriots-Jaguars and Eagles-Vikings in Sunday play-ins for the Super Bowl, with Pats QB Tom Brady’s hand injury a wild card. Will he play? “We’ll see,” he said. Meantime, Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield’s #GetMeToMiami on social media had him casting for Dolphins to draft him 11th overall. I’d say it could happen, but that would be giving the Dolphins way too much credit for being bold.
▪ 2. HEAT: Dragic makes his late push for All-Star Game: Surging Miami had won eight of the past 10 games entering the weekend and climbed to fourth in East. But will the wave be enough to lift guard Goran Dragic onto NBA All-Star team as Heat’s lone rep? We’ll know this week as reserves and final rosters are announced. We’re accustomed to brash Hassan Whiteside campaigning for the honor. Dragic stays quiet … but deserves the nod.
▪ 3. NASSAR TRIAL: USA Gymnastics sexual abuse trial ends: Disgraced national-team doctor Larry Nassar listened this week in Michigan courtroom as dozens of women — including gold medal-winning female Olympic gymnasts — spoke of the abuse at his hands under guise of treatment. He complained to judge that hearing it was bad for his mental health. And the number of people who felt sorry for Nassar? Between zero and nobody.
▪ 4. PANTHERS: Cats back in action as club honors Huizenga: Panthers were back on NHL ice Friday after a week off with a huge deficit to make up in playoff race. Meantime club honored founding owner Wayne Huizenga to mark 25th anniversary of the franchise being awarded. Year of the Rat goaltender John Vanbiesbrouck was among Huizenga-era players back in town for the ceremony. Wish he’d brought some of that ’96 mojo with him.
▪ 5. MARLINS: Home Run Sculpture going, going, gone!: The 5-Spot could have gone to slumping Canes men’s basketball, the Australian Open at its midpoint or Pegasus World Cup coming up at Gulfstream, but instead let’s go with Marlins quietly deciding to remove the infamous, made-fun-of and mostly hated Home Run Sculpture from Marlins Park. Which answer the question, “Will new owner Derek Jeter ever do anything fans like!?