That the Hurricanes, Seminoles and Gators all are bunched between 13th and 19th in the national polls this week testifies to their current talent. Their pipelines to the NFL tell you the players they send to Sunday aren’t bad, either.
Florida State (42 players), Florida (38) and Miami (35) all are among national leaders in most NFL players, based on this week’s active rosters.
Elsewhere in the state, UCF has 16 current pros, South Florida nine, FAU six, FIU three and Bethune-Cookman two — 151 in all.
FIU’s trio are Colts receiver T.Y. Hilton, whose 16.1 average is best in the NFL (minimum 150 catches); Jaguars safety Johnathan Cyprien; and Chargers linebacker Tourek Williams.
Here are the UM guys on rosters, by position. Canes listed are starters unless noted, based on current depth charts:
▪ RB: Frank Gore IND, Lamar Miller HOU. Reserves: Duke Johnson CLE (who we’ll see here Sunday). Gore leads all active runners with 12,143 career yards.
▪ WR: Travis Benjamin SD, Allen Hurns JAC. Reserves: Phillip Dorsett IND, Andre Johnson TEN. Johnson, winding down excellent career, has 1,057 career catches.
▪ TE: Jimmy Graham SEA, Greg Olsen CAR. Reserves: Erik Swoope IND, Clive Walford OAK. Graham, Olsen both have made Pro Bowl.
▪ OT: Erick Flowers NYG. Reserves: Eric Winston CIN. Suspended: Seantrel Henderson BUF. OG: Orlando Franklin SD. Reserves: Jon Feliciano OAK. C: Brandon Linder JAC.
▪ DE: Allen Bailey KC, Calais Campbell ARI, Olivier Vernon NYG. DT: Vince Wilfork HOU. Reserves: Olsen Pierre ARI. Campbell, Wilfork have made Pro Bowl.
▪ OLB: Reserves: Anthony Chickillo PIT. IR: Ray-Ray Armstrong SF. ILB: Denzel Perryman SD. Reserves: Thurston Armbrister DET, Sean Spence TEN.
▪ CB: Sam Shields GB. Reserves: Artie Burns PIT, LaDarius Gunter GB, Tracy Howard CLE. S: Reserves: Deon Bush CHI.
▪ ST: Matt Bosher ATL punter. Devin Hester BAL returner. Pat O’Donnell CHI punter. Hester is NFL career leader with 14 punt-return TDs.
THIS AND THAT
▪ Browns tackle Joe Thomas, here Sunday, has started all 146 games in his career and is only offensive lineman ever selected to Pro Bowl each of first nine seasons.
▪ If you wondered, 63.2 percent of teams that start 2-0 have made the playoffs since 1990, when the current format began. It kicks up to 75.6 percent at 3-0.
▪ Texans’ Will Fuller is the first first-round rookie ever with two consecutive 100-yard games to begin a career.
▪ Stefon Diggs’ 285 receiving yards are the most through two games in Minnesota Vikings history since Gene Washington’s 324 in 1969.
▪ Anquan Boldin’s TD catch for Lions made him only second receiver in history with at least 1,000 career catches to record a TD for four teams. The other: Terrell Owens.
▪ Steelers’ DeAngelo Williams, 33, leading NFL with 237 rushing yards, is oldest ever to top 200 in a team’s first two games.
▪ Eagles’ Carson Wentz is fifth rookie QB to begin career 2-0 as starter.