Laremy Tunsil, welcome to Miami.
Kindly leave the gas mask at home.
Tunsil wakes up Friday as the newest Miami Dolphin — words that were unthinkable to even the most optimistic in team headquarters an hour before the draft began.
But that was before the most infamous Twitter video in NFL Draft history went viral.
Tunsil messed up two years ago.
The world found out about it as the standout offensive tackle for the University of Mississippi made his way to his seat at the draft in Chicago.
That's when someone hacked the stud offensive lineman's Twitter account and posted a two-year old video of him smoking a bong through a gas mask.
Tunsil’s hopes of going in the top 5 went up in smoke.
Twelve teams passed on the Tunsil because of this and a host of other issues.
The Dolphins, meanwhile, did not.
They took the player they had rated second overall on their draft board — a huge coup, assuming he stays clean.
Tunsil, speaking to Miami reporters late Thursday, insisted he does not have a drug problem.
“You can check all of my college tests,” Tunsil said. “I never failed one.”
The scrutiny will only increase in the NFL, where he will be subjected to annual tests — assuming he isn’t already in the league’s substance abuse program.
The Dolphins better hope he’s not. Their first-round pick from 2013, Dion Jordan, is serving an indefinite suspension after repeatedly failing drug tests as a pro.
The bong video wasn’t the only bombshell for Tunsil Thursday. Someone hacked his Instagram page as well, and the hacker posted evidence of what appeared to be him asking his college coaches for money.
The NCAA suspended Tunsil for the first seven games his junior year for receiving impermissible benefits.
Furthermore, Tunsil was in the room with teammate Robert Nkemdiche the night Nkemdiche fell out of a second-story window and was later arrested for drug possession.
Then there's the issue of his step-dad, Lindsey Miller, who is currently suing Tunsil for defamation of character. Miller also claims Tunsil attacked him last summer.
The lawsuit alleges these two things were an “intentional infliction of emotional distress.”
The two men filed domestic violence charges against each other last year.
Tunsil’s attorney, Steve Farese, attacked the lawsuit in the Clarion-Ledger.
“The lawsuit filed against Mr. Tunsil appears to be yet another attempt by Mr. Miller to damage Mr. Tunsil, his family, and the University,” Farese said in a statement.
This falling out led many to suspect Miller hacked Tunsil’s account, and posted the video.
Miller denied the accusation to TMZ. Tunsil would not speculate who was responsible. He said he does not want to press charges against whomever did.
“Don’t question my character,” Tunsil said. “Don’t judge a book by its cover.”
The Dolphins didn’t. They knew Tunsil’s checkered history, and even made final calls during the draft to make sure their information was solid.
They determined it was. They didn’t even hesitate when he was available at 13. Elite talent has a way of trumping other considerations. Owner Stephen Ross didn't need to sign off on the pick, but he “was all on board” with it, general manager Chris Grier said.
They picked Tunsil despite UCLA linebacker Myles Jack being available. They passed on needs at cornerback and running back. And they already have starting two offensive tackles — Branden Albert and Ja'Wuan James. Miami doesn't even know what position he'll play his rookie season.
But there's one overriding reason why the Dolphins took Tunsil: He might have been the best player in the draft, despite never playing a full season in college.
Tunsil had All-American talent, but couldn't stay on the field. Injuries and the suspension derailed his career.
And his draft night was derailed, at least for 12 picks, by past mistakes brought to light by a saboteur.
Angry? He’s got plenty of reason to be.
“I’m ready to play football,” Tunsil said.
Miami Herald sportswriter Barry Jackson contributed to this report.