Mario Williams, shown sacking Ryan Tannehill, has been a Miami Dolphins thorn over the years. Now, the Dolphins hope he can do the same to opponents.
MIAMI HERALD STAFF
Welcome to Miami, Mario Williams. The standout pass rusher agreed to a two-year contract with the Dolphins late Tuesday. But how well do you know the Dolphins’ new star? Here are five important facts.
1. Williams was the NFL Draft’s No. 1 overall pick in 2006 —much to the chagrin of many Houston Texans fans. Many booed the choice when it happened, preferring instead local star Vince Young.
2. But the star defensive end, who played collegiately at North Carolina State, won the doubters over with a 14-sack season in 2007.
3. After six years in Houston, Williams signed a six-year, $100 million contract with the Buffalo Bills in 2012, a record-breaking deal that included $50 million in guaranteed money.
4. Williams loves sports cars. More specifically, he loves Lamborghinis. But his need for speed got him in trouble back in 2007. A video surfaced of him speeding on a North Carolina highway.
5. He not only eats offensive linemen for breakfast, he has his own breakfast. Or at least used to. Williams unveiled “MariO’s” a honey toasted oats cereal, in 2012. He donated all proceeds to childrens cancer charity.