Another week, another defensive end from New York claimed by the Dolphins.
Two weeks ago, they picked up Quinton Coples after he was cut by the Jets.
On Monday, it was Damontre Moore, available because the Giants waived him late last week.
The move won’t be made official until Tuesday, so Moore was unavailable to face his old team Monday night.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Moore wore out his welcome in New York after just three seasons. He reportedly had a number of off-field issues as a pro. The last straw for the Giants’ front office: When he fought teammate Cullen Jenkins over a pair of free headphones. The team cut him shortly thereafter.
The Dolphins clearly have at least one eye on 2016 with these moves. Cameron Wake probably will be asked to take a pay cut after tearing his Achilles’ tendon this season. Olivier Vernon’s contract expires at season’s end, as does Derrick Shelby’s.
Moore, a third-round pick out of Texas A&M in 2013, has 8.5 sacks and 66 tackles in his career.
Reshad Jones, as usual, was excellent in the first half.
The rest of the secondary? Not so much.
Brent Grimes was twice torched deep by Odell Beckham Jr. — both resulting in catches. The first one did not count because of a Charmin-soft offensive pass interference flag.
The second one — a 45-yard bomb — did.
Michael Thomas’ night wasn’t any better. He was the closest defender in coverage on both of the Giants’ first-half touchdowns.
This and that
▪ John Jerry is a former Dolphin. Ndamukong Suh is a current Dolphins. The team was happy it was that way Monday, particularly after Suh chucked Jerry to the side for an early tackle for loss.
▪ Jay Ajayi had the first kickoff return of his career when Damien Williams was receiving medical attention late in the first half. Ajayi’s return went for 20 yards.
▪ Dan Campbell elected to go for in on fourth-and-a-foot deep in Giants territory — and was rewarded for his decision. Lamar Miller picked up the first down, and then later charged 14 yards to the end zone.
▪ Dion Sims lost a fumble and dropped a deep pass in the first half.
▪ Dolphins inactives: WR Rishard Matthews; OL Jacques McClendon; OL Ulrick John; DE Jordan Williams; OT Ja’Wuan James; and DE Terrence Fede.
▪ Deandre Coleman, whom the Dolphins elevated from the practice squad earlier in the day, was active and played Monday night. The team placed tight end Brandon Williams on injured reserve to make room; Williams broke a bone in his foot Friday.
▪ Jamar Taylor, who was a healthy scratch last week, was active.
▪ Linebacker Spencer Paysinger, who spent four years with the Giants, was a Dolphins captain.