The Dolphins’ missing linebackers were back at practice Wednesday — but a week late and a win short.
Starters Jelani Jenkins and Koa Misi both worked on a limited basis, suggesting a possible return Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings. Jenkins has been battling a foot injury, and Misi has missed a good chunk of the season with knee and hamstring issues.
Neither played Sunday against the New England Patriots, and Tom Brady capitalized. He completed 9 of 10 passes for 136 yards against the Dolphins’ starting linebackers in New England’s 41-13 rout. His only incompletion was an interception by Jason Trusnik.
The blowout loss all but ended any remaining playoffs hopes for the Dolphins.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
When asked how Jenkins and Misi looked in their return to practice Wednesday, coach Joe Philbin was characteristically vague.
“We’ll see,” Philbin said. “I have to watch the tape. It looked like they were moving around well. We’ll see how things go.”
GARNER STILL OUT
Backup guard Nate Garner remains away from the team as he deals with persistent migraine headaches. Garner last practiced on Nov.27 and has been sidelined for three full weeks.
Although the organization does not release specific details of its players’ medical issues, the Miami Herald has learned that the migraines are not a sign of anything serious. At this point, Garner’s absence from the team is more to prevent the condition from getting worse than anything.
Garner has appeared in 10 games this season, his seventh in the league.
The Dolphins rearranged their normal schedule this week, forgoing their normal Tuesday practice.
“We just wanted to change the schedule up a little bit,” Philbin said. “We did some meetings. We met. We got the game plan going on Minnesota. We got the film study going. We got a good lift in and then just decided that was going to be the course of action for this week.”
THIS AND THAT
▪ Dallas Thomas, who has allowed five sacks in the past two games, missed Wednesday’s practice with a foot injury. If he cannot go Sunday, Jason Fox would presumably start at right tackle.
▪ Running back Daniel Thomas was also held out of action Wednesday. He is dealing with a knee issue.
▪ Seven Dolphins players were limited in their participation: Misi; Jenkins; tight end Charles Clay; cornerbacks Cortland Finnegan and Jamar Taylor; linebacker Jonathan Freeny; and safety Don Jones.
▪ Philbin, on his decision to elevate tight end Gerrell Robinson to the active roster from the practice squad: “He’s a quick learner. He’s a real hard worker. He’s athletic. He runs well. He’s competitive. He’s been competitive in everything he’s done out here.”
▪ Wednesday kicked off the team’s annual alumni week with a draw party for Thursday’s golf tournament. There will be a gala at the Fort Lauderdale Westin Beach Resort and Spa on Friday, another golf tournament on Saturday and the induction of defensive tackle Manny Fernandez into the Dolphins Honor Roll at halftime of Sunday’s game.
▪ The NFL announced its 2015 calendar. Some of the important dates to remember: March 2 is the deadline for franchise tag; March 10 is start of free agency; and the NFL Draft will be held April 30 through May 2.