Chris McCain might not see the field Thursday night, but he already has made the catch of the week.
His first child, Malayla Odile Boukaka McCain, was born lunchtime Monday, and the first hands she felt were her father’s.
“I delivered the baby,” McCain said. “I put the pressure down and had my fingers in between the neck so her neck wouldn’t dangle when she came down. Whenever her shoulders cleared through, I pulled her out, put her on top of her mama and cut the cord.”
Now if this sounds like a tall tale, McCain has proof: He captured the the entire birth with a GoPro video camera. He didn’t do it all himself, of course. A doctor was present.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
McCain drew a crowd during open-locker Tuesday, but the assembled journalists were more interested in his work on social media than in the delivery room.
McCain took heat in New England this week for using as his Twitter icon a fan-created photo of him with Tom Brady’s head in a vise grip, and also tweeted “#crushbrady.”
This isn’t the first time he has gone after the future Hall of Famer. When the league announced Brady’s since-overturned suspension for his purported involvement in the Patriots’ alleged football-deflation scheme, McCain tweeted that “the Super Bowl should be stripped.”
“That icon’s been up there since OTAs,” McCain said. “We’ve got their game this week and people want to make a big deal of it. It’s months and months ago.”
Added McCain: “I shook Brady’s hand Week 1 last year, when we won. … Told him how I respect him.”
When asked about his Deflategate comments, McCain responded: “Like I said, it was old. It was old. It was spur of the moment. Things happen.”
ODDS AND ENDS
▪ McCain, who missed practice Monday, worked fully on Tuesday. There were no other changes to the Dolphins’ injury report.
▪ The Dolphins have nominees for the both the FedEx Ground (Lamar Miller) and Air (Ryan Tannehill) Player of the Week honors after their remarkable games against the Texans. Those interested in voting may visit NFL.com/FedEx.
▪ Brady, talking about Bill Belichick on Tuesday: “Coaching is hugely important to the success of an NFL team, and I’m fortunate to play for the one that I feel is the best of all time.”
▪ Dolphins offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, when asked about the Dolphins’ four touchdowns of 50 or more yards against the Texans (which broke an NFL record): “We’ve come a long way. … It was fun to watch.”
▪ Even after back-to-back wins, the Dolphins still have just a 20.1 percent chance of making the playoffs, according to numberFire.com.
▪ The Dolphins announced five more members of their 50th season all-time team Tuesday: Brent Grimes, Jim Langer, Reggie Roby, Paul Warfield and Ricky Williams.
▪ Mike Pouncey held his second annual Strikes for Kids charity bowling event at Miami’s Bird Bowl on Tuesday night.