▪ Impact player: The Dolphins’ Olivier Vernon blocked a Jacksonville field goal and caused an incompletion by hitting Jaguars quarterback Blake Bortles as he threw.
▪ Highlights: Vernon’s field-goal block. Outside of that, the best Dolphins plays were bad Jacksonville ones — holding on a successful field goal, Bortles overthrowing a wide open Allen Robinson in the end zone.
▪ Lowlights: Two three-and-outs, two sacks allowed, 3 yards of total offense for the Dolphins. Jacksonville’s Denard Robinson ran for 75 yards in the first quarter. Jacksonville owned the ball and both lines of scrimmage.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Impact player: Safety Louis Delmas gave the badly outplayed Dolphins a 7-0 lead with his 81-yard interception return touchdown, then recovered a Bortles fumble later in the quarter.
▪ Highlights: Delmas’ return of a terrible Bortles pass. The previous play, an illegal shift penalty wiped out a Jaguars’ gain to the Dolphins 1-yard-line. Linebacker Jelani Jenkins ended another Jaguars drive when he dislodged the ball from Bortles, and Delmas recovered. Caleb Sturgis’ 43-yard field goal followed the only Dolphins drive of the first half.
▪ Lowlights: Jacksonville got its 30-yard field goal after a Dolphins offsides penalty on a missed field prompted Jacksonville to go for a fourth-and-1. Jacksonville made the first down and got the field goal later.
▪ Impact player: Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes’ 22-yard interception return touchdown put the Dolphins up 17-3, a psychological crusher, considering how Jacksonville had dominated play.
▪ Highlights: Grimes’ interception wobbled Jacksonville. Tannehill’s 3-yard touchdown pass to Rishard Matthews that put the Dolphins up 24-6 was the crusher. Accelerating the Dolphins on that 95-yard drive were a 50-yard completion to Mike Wallace (brilliant catch) and a Lamar Miller 30-yard run.
▪ Lowlights: A 32-yard scramble from Bortles, the big play in a drive to Josh Scobee’s 40-yard field goal. The first two Dolphins’ offensive possessions just seemed to continue the first-half ineptitude.
▪ Impact player: Dolphins quartreback Ryan Tannehill propelled one drive that ended with an interception, another drive that ended with a field goal and had a 30-yard run to help run out the clock out.
▪ Highlights: Sturgis’ 29-yard field goal, which was set up by Dion Sims’ 38-yard reception. Michael Thomas recovered Jacksonville’s onside kick.
▪ Lowlights: Bortles hit Allen Robinson for a 48-yard touchdown, reaching the Dolphins’ end zone for the first time. Tannehill’s end-zone interception prevented another Dolphins score.