Miami Dolphins

As vote begins, Dolphins’ Ryan Fitzpatrick explains why he’s a ‘Yes’ on NFL’s new CBA

Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (14) sets up to pass in the first quarter as the Miami Dolphins host the Cincinnati Bengals at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens on Sunday, December 22, 2019.
Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick (14) sets up to pass in the first quarter as the Miami Dolphins host the Cincinnati Bengals at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens on Sunday, December 22, 2019. adiaz@miamiherald.com

The Miami Dolphins’ oldest and most respected player is a “Yes” on the NFL’s proposed new collective bargaining agreement.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, in a video provided to the New York Daily News Friday, explained why “he can confidently say” that he will vote for the agreement with ownership that this week was sent to the league’s roughly 2,000 dues-paying players for ratification.

“There were a ton of different things that we said we wanted to be addressed,” Fitzpatrick said. “Increased benefits for current players, increased benefits for past players. I think the vast majority of those were hit and addressed in the CBA.”

He continued: “I think the most important part of the CBA comes down to revenue sharing, and for us as players, revenue sharing, getting a larger percentage of the pie is important, but also the overall growth of that pie is important and those two things both happen if we sign the CBA. I think the fact that in signing this CBA and voting yes shows solidarity with owners and players. I think that’s important. I think it also shows the stability and strength of our league. As we go into negotiate these new sponsorship deals and TV deals, solidarity and strength and stability are things that are going to be on our side. They’re going to help us increase the overall worth of that pie and it’s a win-win for players and owners in that regard.”

The NFLPA’s board of player representatives decided late last month to send the owners’ latest CBA proposal to the union’s membership for a vote. Several high-profile players, including J.J. Watt, have come out against the agreement but much of the league’s rank-and-file players are in favor of it because of the pay increases the agreement includes.

The biggest changes from the past CBA are the addition of a 17th regular season game, players receiving at least 48 percent of revenue, and an addition playoff team in each conference.

But there are other, smaller changes that will benefit the players. The practice squad rosters would be bigger, training camp would be shortened and the league would no longer suspend players for positive marijuana tests.

The league hopes to have the new CBA in place for the start of the 2020 league year, which begins March 18.

“I’m voting yes on the CBA,” Fitzpatrick told the Daily News “...The possible gains we could make from a work stoppage don’t justify the risk we would undertake in voting this proposal down.”

Fitzpatrick announced last month that he’s returning for a 16th NFL season. While the Dolphins will likely take a quarterback high in April’s draft, Fitzpatrick is expected to be the team’s opening day starter, due in no small part to his relationship with new offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Voting will run through next Thursday. Ratification of the deal is subject to a simple majority vote.

This story was originally published March 6, 2020 at 9:51 AM.

Adam H. Beasley
Miami Herald
Adam Beasley has covered the Dolphins for the Miami Herald since 2012, and has worked for the newspaper since 2006. He is a graduate of Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Communications and has written about sports professionally since 1996. Support my work with a digital subscription
Sports Pass is your ticket to Miami sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Miami area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER