Has Dolphins pending free agent Jarvis Landry gone from “I don’t know” to “probably not?”
People who know him best believe he has.
Landry, who told reporters after the Dolphins’ regular-season finale that he was not sure if would return to the Dolphins in 2018, is suggesting to friends that it is more likely that he has played his final game for Miami.
Landry has told associates that he is not optimistic that the long-term deal with the Dolphins he so desperately wants will be reached.
One source familiar with the situation told the Miami Herald there is a bit of resignation in Landry’s circle that he will be playing for another team in 2018.
This development is due to, at least in part, Landry’s reaction to a report by the Miami Herald detailing the team’s frustrations with their fourth-year star. Those issues include but are not exclusive to: poor attention to detail; Landry’s inability to control his emotions, often to the detriment of his team; and a deficiency in leadership.
Landry was so upset by the report that he contacted a Miami Herald reporter to say his negotiations with the organization on a new deal have been “handled a bit disrespectful.” Landry, whose 400 catches are more than any other player has had through four seasons, added that he still would like to remain with the Dolphins if an agreement can be reached.
And that all occurred before the Baltimore Sun reported Wednesday that the Ravens and Dolphins discussed a possible trade involving Landry last offseason, but Miami’s asking price was too high.
Dolphins executive Mike Tannenbaum, speaking at the Senior Bowl here Wednesday, had little update on the matter.
“He’s a Dolphin, he was drafted here, he’s been productive,” Tannenbaum said of Landry. “Adam [Gase] has used him and he’s produced and he’s gotten better. As the three of us said, we want sustainability. We want to keep as many of our own players, within reason. Draft and develop them. But you can’t keep them all. That’s part of the system that we all live in.”
Landry’s camp and the Dolphins exchanged contract offers in December, but as of last week, the Dolphins had not made a counter.
“We’ve had a number of conversations for a long period of time,” Tannenbaum said. “I’ll keep those conversations private, the ones that Chris [Grier] and I had. I’m sure they’ll do the same. There’s been a lot of communications between us and them for a long time.”
Landry is believed to want a contract similar to the four-year, $58 million deal (with $30 million guaranteed) the Packers gave their star receiver Davante Adams a few weeks back.
Landry’s agent, Damarius Bilbo, has told reporters in recent days that Landry will not be taking any sort of hometown discount, and wondered allowed if the Herald’s original story was planted by the Dolphins to drive down Landry’s value.
However, some industry sources here believe Landry’s deal will not come close to $14 million or $15 million annually, thinking that $10 million per season is a more likely range. The Dolphins could conceivably use the franchise tag on Landry, but that would be even more expensive. The transition tag, which would allow them to match any offer he gets, is also an option.
The contrast to how the Dolphins are handling Landry’s pending free agency and how they handled Kenny Stills’ in 2017 could not be more stark. Gase said all last offseason that the Dolphins wanted Stills back; they have not said the same about Landry.
Miami Herald sportswriter Armando Salguero contributed to this report.