Miami Heat

Police report: Miami Heat guard Gerald Green punched person on day he was hospitalized

Gerald Green takes a shot over Kris Humphries in the fourth quarter of the Miami Heat’s preseason game against the Washington Wizards at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami on Wednesday, October 21, 2015.
Gerald Green takes a shot over Kris Humphries in the fourth quarter of the Miami Heat’s preseason game against the Washington Wizards at AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami on Wednesday, October 21, 2015.

When the Miami Heat announced Tuesday it was suspending sharpshooting guard Gerald Green for two games because of conduct detrimental to the team, team president Pat Riley didn’t exactly say why, calling it a “personal matter.”

But a Nov. 4 City of Miami police incident report shed more light. Green, 29, showed up at the front desk of his condo with bloody hands, asked a clerk to call paramedics, then walked outside into the valet area, where he collapsed.

Then Green recovered, walked back inside and punched someone in the eye who was trying to stop him from going back up to his apartment, the report says. The victim, though — a Hispanic male in his 30s who came to Green’s aid after he collapsed — chose not to press charges, police said.

“Mr. Green tried to make his way up to his unit. When victim #1 tried to hold Mr. Green in the lobby area for fire rescue, Mr. Green punched the victim in the right eye,” Miami police officer John Collins wrote in his report.

The eight-page report says police arrived at the condo at 1100 Biscayne Boulevard at 10:46 a.m. It appears to be written by a supervising officer who arrived at the scene after the initial incident, then conducted interviews.

It says that when Collins arrived, Green was already restrained and in handcuffs, and that police escorted Miami Fire Rescue as they drove Green to Jackson Memorial Hospital. Police assisted fire rescue in placing Green on a stretcher and carried him to the ambulance.

“Fire rescue had the patient restrained due to the patient becoming very loud and verbally combative,” the report says. “Fire rescue requested that the Sgt. handcuff the patient.”

An assault unit was contacted, according to the report, but the victim did not want to press charges.

Riley did not want to discuss why Green was being suspended when he was asked about the incident following Tuesday’s 101-88 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.

“I think the release and the statement pretty much says what it says — conduct detrimental to the team,” Riley said. “And other than that, it’s a personal matter. It doesn’t need to be discussed.”

Asked later whether he believes Green can be trusted to stay in line moving forward, Riley responded: “I just believe that we can [count on Gerald moving forward]. I’ve been around this game for 48 years and he’s a really great kid, great athlete, can really shoot the ball. He’s explosive and we’re going to need him, and I think he’s going to show that to us.”

Green, who has missed the Heat’s last five games and will not play in Thursday’s game against the visiting Utah Jazz, released an apology through the team’s public relations staff. He’s expected to return to the team Friday.

“I want to apologize to my family, fans and the Heat organization,” Green said in the statement. “I accept the suspension and look forward to rejoining my teammates this weekend.”

Green, who hasn’t had a history of violence or run-ins with the law, was hospitalized for about four days before being released sometime Saturday according to WPLG-Channel 10. A source said a member of the Heat organization treated Green for dehydration on Nov. 3 at his condo. That night, Green missed his first game of the season with what the Heat referred to as an illness.

But it’s still unclear why Green passed out to begin with or why his hands were bloodied when he arrived at the lobby of his condo and asked the front desk to call paramedics. Those are questions Green will likely be asked the next time he speaks with reporters sometime this weekend.

After Thursday’s game against Utah, the Heat will not play again until next Tuesday, when it hosts the Timberwolves. Coach Erik Spoelstra said Miami will practice through the weekend, giving Green enough time to catch up.

“I don’t think it will take long,” Spoelstra said. “He was playing great basketball before that.

“So, we have practices this weekend and he’ll be able to get into a flow and a rhythm and we’ll go from there.”

Miami Herald columnist Ethan J. Skolnick contributed to this report

Thursday: Jazz at Heat

When/where: 7:30 p.m., AmericanAirlines Arena.

TV/radio: SUN; 790 AM, 710 AM (Spanish).

Series: Jazz lead 33-23.

Scouting report: The Heat split last season’s series, winning in Utah 100-95 and falling at home 105-87. Jazz center Rudy Gobert, a 7-1, 245 pound beast, rolled his ankle late in Tuesday’s loss at Cleveland and is listed as questionable to play against Miami. The Heat will have two new players on the roster acquired in Tuesday’s trade with Memphis — veteran backup point guard Beno Udrih and 21-year-old reserve power forward Jarnell Stokes.

Related stories from Miami Herald