Suarez back for Inter Miami home game vs. Orlando, Alba discusses Messi’s future
The last time Inter Miami played Orlando City was on Valentine’s Day, in front of 42,000 fans at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. It was the final preseason game for both teams, and the entertaining match ended in a 2-2 tie.
On Sunday, the intrastate rivals meet again, at 7 p.m. at Chase Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, and this time, it counts. Inter Miami is highly motivated.
Lionel Messi and his teammates are desperate to get back to winning after just one victory in their past six games. They are coming off a 3-3 tie on the road against the San Jose Earthquakes on Wednesday night.
Forward Luis Suarez is back with the team after missing both games last week for a family trip he had arranged with the coaching staff at the start of the season. Winger Fafa Picault, who was supposed to start in Suarez’s absence, wound up missing both games with migraines, leaving coach Javier Mascherano with few options up front.
Fafa is feeling much better and worked out on his own with a trainer Friday morning, but is questionable for the game Sunday. The club medical staff suggested he see a specialist because he has dealt with migraines and sinusitis in the past, according to coach Javier Mascherano.
“The first day I arrived on the job, Luis told me he had this trip planned, and when the time arrived, he had played almost every game, so we saw it as an opportunity to give him a rest,” Mascherano explained. “Unfortunately, we didn’t have a crystal ball and with all that happened, it worked against our favor. We didn’t know about Fafa and Allen [Obando] had a mild injury, too. It happens. Not an excuse. We adapted and we move forward.”
After a stellar start in Mascherano’s debut season, including a 14-match unbeaten streak, the team has had a poor run. Since the start of April, Miami has three wins, five losses and three ties. They have lost four of their past six games.
“When these types of situations happen, in our case, a lapse over the past 15 days, there is not much to say and a lot to do,” Mascherano said. “It’s what we talked about after the [San Jose] game, we to be more focused, more emphasis on specific issues, especially defense, where we had done well at the start of the season.”
The coach shouldered the blame for the team’s slump.
“I want to make clear that the only person responsible is me,” he said. “At the end, how the team plays and its problems are the responsibility of the coach. We need to work, make adjustments and convince the players that we can get back to a high level. Sunday, we have another chance to demonstrate that.”
Pressed on what, specifically, needs to change for the team to avoid costly defensive mistakes, Mascherano said it was not as simple as switching the lineup or the scheme.
“There is nothing in particular, if you analyze the past five games, the names in the lineup changed and the same mistakes happened,” he said. “It has nothing to do with one player or another. That is clear. Changing the system, maybe not all of it, but tweaking things to avoid these lapses, yes, we need to do that to get back to where we were at the start of the season.”
One player who will not be available is midfielder Baltasar Rodriguez, who sustained minor leg discomfort during his Inter Miami debut off the bench Wednesday night. He had to leave the game shortly after coming in. It was his third injury since joining the team a little more than a month ago, which is a concern, Mascherano said.
“What worries us is the lack of rhythm Baltasar has had with the team,” Mascherano said. “He has not been able to train with the group very often, so we have to keep bringing him along slowly.”
Jordi Alba on Messi’s Future
Left back Jordi Alba met with the media Friday morning and discussed the two-year contract extension he signed on Friday. The 36-year-old Spaniard is committed to the club through 2027.
He is the first of the four ex-Barcelona teammates to re-sign with Miami. Messi, Suarez and Sergio Busquets all have contracts that expire at the end of 2025. Club managing owner Jorge Mas has said he hopes Messi will stay through next year and play in the new Miami Freedom Park stadium, which is due to be completed for the 2026 season.
Asked if his signing may be an indication that Messi will follow suit, Alba said:
“I’m not renewing for anyone, but I hope Leo stays. I think he’s a vital player for us and obviously for the club as well. I understand the fans’ concern, and of course, for me too, it’s much better if Leo stays. We’ve known each other for many years, we already have that understanding on the field, and I’ve said it many times, with Leo on the field, I and everyone on the team are better players. It would be great news if Leo continues.”
Alba added that he expects Inter Miami to be his final stop.
“Because of my age, yes,” he said. “We have to be aware of how old I am. I believe I’m still playing well, but my dream is to finish here. I hope to keep growing and helping the club in whatever is asked of me.”
Mascherano is pleased that Alba plans to stick around.
“It’s good news for the club, which for the past few years has centered the project around not only Leo, but Busi [Sergio Busquets], Jordi, Luis [Suarez], and it is what the club aspired to, to give certainty to the fans about the project,” he said. “I am very happy for him, as I know this extension is something he wanted.”
Drake Callender Injury Update
Goalkeeper Drake Callender, who was the co-captain and regular starter the past few years, underwent surgery for a sports hernia last week and is expected to miss a few months, though there is no exact timetable for his return, Mascherano said.
Callender never fully recovered from the injury he sustained in January while with the U.S. national team, according to Mascherano. He consulted specialists, tried treatments, and the final alternative was surgery.