Inter Miami

Damion Lowe, Kieran Gibbs expected back for Inter Miami home game vs. LAFC on Saturday

Inter Miami CF defender Kieran Gibbs (3) is expected to make his season debut against Los Angeles FC on Mar. 12, 2022 after missing the first two games with a leg injury
Inter Miami CF defender Kieran Gibbs (3) is expected to make his season debut against Los Angeles FC on Mar. 12, 2022 after missing the first two games with a leg injury dvarela@miamiherald.com

Inter Miami’s 5-1 loss on the road at Austin FC last Sunday was “a jolt” and “a reality check,” so the motto of this week around training camp was “bounce back and respond” heading into the home game Saturday against Los Angeles FC (1:30 p.m., Univision).

“We’ve been analyzing it a lot and there was nothing in the eight weeks we’ve had together as a team that showed me any signs that we were going to get that kind of performance last Sunday, so that was a real jolt for us,” Inter Miami coach Phil Neville said. “We’ve been working hard all week, and there’s no better way in football than to get straight back on the horse and straight back out there.”

Center back Damion Lowe and left back Kieran Gibbs are expected to return from injury on Saturday, which will bolster the defense. Midfielder Bryce Duke is eager to play against his former team but remains questionable. Defender Ryan Sailor and forward Robbie Robinson are getting close to full fitness.

Neville said the added depth will allow him to have more flexibility with the starting lineup. Lowe started the season-opening game, played well, and would be expected to return to his spot.

The team dissected video of the Austin loss, and players had a meeting to discuss what went wrong and what they need to improve.

“We were devastated and pissed off, which is a normal reaction,” midfielder Mo Adams said. “We had to reflect, and we had an open discussion where players stepped up to speak. It was a reality check.”

Inter Miami faces a tough challenge against LAFC, which is 1-1 after a 3-0 win over Colorado (Mexican forward Carlos Vela had the hat trick) and a 1-1 tie with Portland.

“Their front three are very dangerous, they stay high and are very effective in transition, so we have to be aware of that,” Adams said. “We have to be cautious in the middle and try to dictate the tempo.”

Noah Allen signs contract

Neville said 17-year-old Pembroke Pines defender Noah Allen, who had been with the club’s reserve team, was promoted full-time to the senior team after signing an MLS Homegrown contract. Allen was called up for three preseason games and the first two regular season games. They are awaiting final paperwork to make the official announcement.

“That is brilliant news for the club,” Neville said. “He’s now an MLS player. We wanted to use this period in preseason to see how he’d develop. I think what we’ve seen the first two games is everything you want to see. He’s got incredible talent that needs time to develop.”

Maynor Figueroa not in plans

Neville praised the long career and durability of 38-year-old Honduran center back Maynor Figueroa, who tried out with the team this week, but said they do not plan to sign him. They told Figueroa of their decision Friday morning.

“I don’t think there’s that many players still playing now that I played against and he’s one, for Wigan,” Neville said. “He’s had an incredible career for Honduras – 182 caps – but we’re looking for something a little bit different.”

This story was originally published March 11, 2022 at 2:33 PM.

Michelle Kaufman
Miami Herald
Miami Herald sportswriter Michelle Kaufman has covered 14 Olympics, six World Cups, Wimbledon, U.S. Open, NCAA Basketball Tournaments, NBA Playoffs, Super Bowls and has been the soccer writer and University of Miami basketball beat writer for 25 years. She was born in Frederick, Md., and grew up in Miami.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Miami sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Miami area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER