The Fort Lauderdale Strikers were able to fight to a 1-1 tie against the Carolina RailHawks in Cary, North Carolina, keeping them in the fourth and final playoff spot with just two games left in the season.
FC Edmonton, which defeated Ottawa Fury 2-0 earlier in the day, jumped ahead of Carolina and is now just one point behind the Strikers for the final spot. The two teams will face off Saturday night at Lockhart Stadium.
Mark Anderson was able to put the Strikers ahead 1-0 in the 67th minute when Martin Nuñez slotted him the ball just outside the box and the midfielder shot it with his left foot, putting the ball inside the right post past Carolina’s Akira Fitzgerald.
In the 82nd minute Carolina was able to even the score when Nacho Novo received the ball from Ty Shipalane, and back heeled it into the corner of the goal to tie the score
▪ Saint Leo 3, Barry 2 (OT): Matt Campbell scored six minutes into the overtime period with a header to give Saint Leo (9-1-2, 5-1-0 Sunshine State Conference) a win at home over visiting Barry (5-6-1, 1-4-0). Patrick Drmola and Connor Randel each scored for the Buccaneers.
▪ St. Thomas 4, Ave Maria 0: Mikhail Weatherly, Andres Rico, Marcelo Norton and Marc Heiniking each scored a goal as St. Thomas (1-6, 2-5 The Sun Conference) beat Ave Maria (1-9, 0-7) at Bobcat Field.
▪ St. Thomas 2, Ave Maria 0: Sarah Lyppert Thomsson and Zelda Jagryd, both from Sweden, scored and assisted on each other’s goals in the Bobcats (7-6-1, 3-4 TSC) road victory over Ave Maria (3-8, 0-6). Goalkeeper Christina Garwacki got the shutout.
▪ Barry 2, Saint Leo 1: Rayah Seckler got loose in the back of the Saint Leo defense and scored the game-winner in overtime to lead Barry to a victory at home. Christy Grimshaw scored the Buccaneers’ (9-1-1, 5-0-0 SSC) first goal in the 37th minute.
Barry’s Sonja Larsen and Elisabeth Abanda each reached the semifinals of the top singles draw in the Grizzly Open hosted by Georgia Gwinnett College in Lawrenceville. Larsen defeated Emory’s Julie Fowler 6-1, 6-0, and beat Emory’s Bridget Harding, 6-0, 6-0, in the quarterfinals. Abanda beat Brenau’s Maria Perdomo 6-3, 6-2, and also moved into Sunday’s 8 a.m. semifinals with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Klara Dohnalova.
Six Barry University players moved on to the Round of 16 at the Pembroke Lakes Invitational at Pembroke Lakes Golf & Racquet Club. Barry’s Fabian Groetsch, Kevin Sielmann and Fabian Pronnet each won two matches. Nico Dreer, Austin Cruz and Franco Echenique all won one match after receiving opening-round byes. Sunday’s play begins at 10:45 a.m.…
University of Miami freshman Piotr Lomacki advanced to the main draw quarterfinals with two wins in the third day of action at the USTA/ITA Southeast Regional Championships hosted by the University of Georgia. Lomacki beat UNF’s Lasse Muscheites 6-3, 6-4, and Georgia’s Ben Wagland 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 6-3. He will now face Florida’s Maxx Lipman in the quarterfinals Sunday.
▪ Barry d. West Georgia 25-9, 19-25, 25-20, 25-8: Laine Cielena had 13 kills and a .611 attack percentage, Kristina Boncheva had 12 kills, and finished with five blocks as Barry (13-8) capped off a 3-0 weekend at the South Region Crossover at Rollins College in Winter Park.