It was a third straight win for the Doral Academy Firebirds on Thursday afternoon following a 37-6 rout of Sunset at Tropical Park Stadium.
And while head coach Jase Stewart certainly was not unhappy about a team that just improved to 3-1 (following an opening week road loss to Boca Raton) and 3-0 in District 16-7A, somehow things aren’t quite what he and his team were expecting this season.
That’s because all the talk surrounding the Firebirds heading into 2018, following last year’s historic playoff run all the way to the regional finals which included a huge road upset of Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer, went as far as that they could actually give St. Thomas Aquinas a run for its money to represent 7A in Orlando.
But all of that changed over the summer when, in this now ever-changing world of players transferring to schools like most of us change clothes, a slew of his best players transferred out.
Three of his top players, including offensive lineman Wardrick Wilson who Alabama is after, were off to Carol City. Others, including wide receiver and University of Miami commit Breion Fuller bolted for Jackson while a few more moved to Hollywood McArthur. In all, an eye-popping 18 players transferred out just two weeks before the start of summer practice.
“We had quite a few new kids coming in but all of the paperwork wasn’t done,” said Stewart. “We do things the right way around here and when we told them they weren’t getting on the field until everything was in order, they were gone. Even worse was that a few of my assistant coaches took off and took kids with them to which was extremely disappointing.”
Don’t feel too sorry for Stewart. The Firebirds still have enough talent that they are still the favorites to come out on top of the district, but there is no more talk of “challenging St. Thomas” in the postseason.
“Hey, maybe it’s all for the better,” said Stewart. “I’d rather take the field with kids that want to be here and we’ll play with what we have and go out there and compete every week.”
As far as Thursday’s game was concerned, Kevin Arcia blocked not one, but two Sunset punts in the first quarter that Doral turned into two touchdown runs by Roscoe Burton as the Firebirds blew out to a 30-0 lead at the half and coasted.
▪ TERRA d. Homestead 3-0 (25-8, 25-11, 25-4): Gabriela Medina 5 kills, 1 block; Isabella valeriano 8 kills, 1 ace; Amanda Palma 11 assists, 12 aces.
▪ Florida Christian d. Archimedean 3-0 (25-11 26-24 25-17): Emily Ruiz 14 kills; Kaley Teijeiro 13 service points; Gianna Ortiz 11 service points,10 assists. FC: 6-1.
▪ Pine Crest d. Cardinal Gibbons 3-0 (31-29, 25-23, 25-21): CG – Dylan Andrews 10 kills, 5 digs, 1 assist, 13 service points, 3 aces; Jenna Giaquinto 10 kills, 11 digs, 2 assists, 1 block, 6 service points, 1 ace; Payton Kadivar 5 digs, 7 service points, 2 aces. CG: 6-5
▪ Gulliver d. LaSalle 3-0 (25-11, 26-24, 25-23): Leah Boyd 8 kills, 3 blocks, 6 digs 2 aces; Caitlyn Landsom 8 kills, 2 blocks, 1 dig; Isabella Sakran 7 kills, 1 block; 1 dig. GP: 3-2
▪ Mater Academy d. Hialeah Miami Lakes 3-0 (25-5, 25-3, 25-3): Angeles Alderete 8 kills, 4 aces; Elaisa Villar 8 kills, 4 aces; Lily Sierra 10 kills; Juliett Colome 31 assists.
▪ 36th Annual Gene Morrison Invitational at Fort Lauderdale CC: WPB Benjamin 289, American Heritage 295, St. Thomas Aquinas 306, Pine Crest 312, Cardinal Gibbons 336, University School 362. Medalist Brett Roberts (STA) 66 (won in playoff); Alex Vogelsong (BEN) 66, Luke Clanton (AH) 68, Blake Bowen (BEN) 72, Jude Kim (AH) 73, Domonic Carrera (PC) 74, Leo Herrera (AH) 75, Sebastian Nachilly (BEN) 76, James Key (BEN) 78, Sam Fruit (PC) 78, Ryan Dever (STA) 78.
▪ Florida Christian 136, LaSalle 175 at Miccosukee Golf Course:.Nicolás Prieto (FC) 38, Peter Hellebrand (LS) 42. FC: 2-1
▪ Mater Lakes 229, Key West 232: Gia Culler-Guerra 38, Skye Lorenzo 49.
▪ LaSalle 198, Florida Christian 206: at Miccosukee Golf Course. Emiliana Cheviak (LS) 62 (9 holes).
▪ Goleman d. Hialeah Gardens. High game: Ricky Ricardo 145, high series Ricky Ricardo 416. GOLE: 2-1.
▪ TERRA d. South Dade 7-0: Ryan Toffoli 222, 587 series, Alec Osorio 187, 510 series. TERRA: 5-0.
▪ Reagan d. Miami Beach 7-0: RR 2482, MB 1438: High Game: (R) Juan Salomon Guida 248; MB: Sean Moran 145; High series: (RR) Juan Salomon Guida 593; (MB) Sean Moran 356.
▪ Columbus d. Coral Gables 6-1. High Game (CG) Kevin Monjarrez 250; High Series (CG) Kevin Monjarrez 695. COL: 3-1.
▪ Ferguson d. South Miami 7-0: Ferguson high games from Raul Chávez, 222; Gabriel Pérez 233, Nelson Mariscal 241. High series: Nelson Mariscal 673
▪ Goleman d. Hialeah Gardens. High game - Sydielim Chong 152; High Series: Sydielim Chong 398. GOLE: 2-1.
▪ TERRA d. South Dade Girls 7-0: Gillian Pons 135, Astrid Trasobares 137. TERRA: 5-0.
▪ Ferguson d. South Miami 7-0: High game and high series Megan Morales 136 and 366; Alenays López 137 and 373.