Pine Crest’s girls’ volleyball players barely slept this past weekend.
It’s hard to rest when you’ve just helped Pine Crest qualify for the state semifinals for the first time since 2007 and you’ve done so in dramatic fashion, rallying on the road from the brink of elimination — one point away from a season-ending loss.
Ransom Everglades led Pine Crest 14-11 in the decisive fifth set. But Pine Crest coach Albert Sturgeon called timeout, and his girls responded, winning five consecutive points for the miracle win.
Those last five points can be found on social media, including YouTube.
“We texted each other all weekend — ‘We can’t believe we won!’” said Pine Crest star Sara Duque, a junior defensive specialist. “It’s still unbelievable. I had to do schoolwork.
But half my head was in the game and thinking about states and the other half was, ‘OK, I have to study.’”
Duque served the final four points of the match for Pine Crest (22-7).
On Wednesday in Kissimmee, Duque and her teammates will play a Class 4A state semifinal against Tampa Holy Names (17-13), a team Pine Crest beat in September 25-8, 25-17.
Holy Names might appear to be an easier opponent, but it also could be a trap. Pine Crest, coming off such a high in the Ransom match, could be caught overconfident against a team it has already drilled.
Sturgeon, though, is determined to not let that happen. He said the win over Holy Names could be misleading because it was only two sets, and it was an early season tournament in Tampa.
“You can’t take anyone lightly or they can catch you off your game,” he said.
If Pine Crest advances to Thursday’s final, it would face either Pensacola Catholic (27-3) or Gainesville’s P.K. Yonge (28-2).
Cardinal Gibbons power forward Melvin Brooks has made an oral commitment to the Air Force Academy. Brooks was an All-Broward second team selection last season
▪ Carrollton 5, Coral Shores 0: Michelle Diaz-Silveira 2 goals.
▪ Wellington 4, Cardinal Gibbons 2: Mackenzie Crittenberger 2 goals.
▪ Scheck Hillel 7- Trinity Christian Academy 0: Julian Ribak, Aaron Franco. Alan Chocron, goal.
▪ Cardinal Gibbons 70, Douglas 47: CG: Ay. Armstead 29, Antoine 16, Tumminello 13, Cohen 6, Cypress 3, As. Armstead 3. Douglas: Green 17, Braneel 11, Lopez 8, Hopkins 6, Charles 5. Half: CG 32-20. Rebounds: Cohen 10. Assists: Tumminello 10.
▪ Braddock 57, Hialeah Gardens 9: Braddock: Bermudez 4, Navarro 8, Sanchez 5, Miranda 20, Flores 10, Long-Moses 2, Baldomero 4, Pujadas 2, Cubias 2. HG: Andulja 5, Martin2, Dominguez 2. Half: Brad 31-6. Three-pointers: Sanchez 1.
▪ Archimedean 10, Westwood Christian 0: Bijan Zojaji 3 goals.
▪ University School 1, North Broward Prep 1: Andrew Booth goal.
▪ North Broward Prep 2, University School 1: Morgan Sherman 2 goals.
If you go
What: The state girls’ volleyball finals.
When: Tuesday through Saturday.
Where: Silver Spurs Arena, Kissimmee.
Admission: $9 per session; Parking: $7 for cars, $14 for buses.
Tuesday’s results — Class 1A semifinals: Sneads d. Santa Rosa Beach South Walton, 25-16, 25-19, 25-19.; Pierson Taylor d. Bell 25-23, 21-25, 25-23, 25-16.; Class 2A semifinals: Naples Seacrest Country Day d. Boca Raton Christian 25-15, 25-11, 25-16; Ocala St. John Lutheran d. Brandon Tampa Bay HEAT 25-16, 25-14, 25-15,
Class 3A semifinals: Clearwater Central Catholic d. Westminster Christian 25-21, 25-21, 25-17; Tampa Carrollwood d. Jacksonville Providence 25-16, 26-24, 22-25, 27-25.
Wednesday’s schedule — Class 4A semifinals: Fort Lauderdale Pine Crest vs. Tampa Holy Names, 11 a.m.; Gainesville PK Yonge vs. Pensacola Catholic, 1; Class 1A final: Sneads vs. Pierson Taylor, 3:05; Class 2A final: Seacrest Country Day vs. St. John Lutheran, 5:05; Class 3A final: Central Catholic vs. Carrollwood, 7:05.
Thursday’s schedule — Class 5A semifinals: Jacksonville Bishop Kenny vs. Tampa Robinson, 11 a.m.; Merritt Island vs. Land O’Lakes Sunlake, 1; Class 6A semifinals: Ocala Vanguard vs. Middleburg, 3; Venice vs. Jensen Beach, 5; Class 4A final: 7:05.
Friday’s schedule — Class 8A semifinals: Orange City University vs. Bradenton Manatee, 9 a.m.; Miami Coral Reef vs. Jupiter, 11 a.m.; Class 7A semifinals: Winter Springs vs. Bradenton Lakewood Ranch, 1; Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas vs. Lutz George Steinbrenner, 3; Class 5A final: 5:05; Class 6A final: 7:05.
Saturday’s schedule – Class 8A final: 11:05 a.m.; Class 7A final: 1:05.