Broward High Schools

Boyd Anderson takes control of district with win over Dillard

Week 6 - Boyd Anderson 26, Dillard 6

Highlights from Boyd Anderson's 2-6 victory against Dillard on Thursday, Oct. 1, 2015.
Up Next
Highlights from Boyd Anderson's 2-6 victory against Dillard on Thursday, Oct. 1, 2015.

Boyd Anderson’s football team celebrated its coach Eddie “Rabbit” Brown’s birthday Thursday.

The Cobras present to their coach was a dominant 26-6 victory over Dillard that put them in first place in District 15-6A.

Boyd Anderson (5-1, 1-0) is now the favorite to win the district and return to the playoffs less than a year after finishing with a 0-10 record.

“This is by far the best birthday present those kids could have given me,” Brown said.

“These kids hit bottom last season. They deserve this feeling right now.”

Brown, the father of Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown, coached last season at Miami Northwestern and led the Bulls to a 5-5 regular season and the first round of the playoffs.

He was hired in the offseason by Boyd Anderson in the hopes of restoring a proud program back to prominence following the worst record in school history.

The Cobras, whose only loss was a respectable defeat to Coconut Creek showed how far they’ve come Thursday by taking control of the game quickly and dominating Dillard (3-2, 0-1) in every facet of the game.

Boyd Anderson scored the first 20 points of the game, leading 20-0 by halftime and other than a 45-yard touchdown pass from Dillard quarterback Mo Hasan to Demetrius White in the third quarter, kept the Panthers in check.

The Cobras forced four turnovers highlighted by interceptions by Michael Nesbitt and Cedlin Silen.

Dillard committed 17 penalties for 180 yards, which also did not allow it to sustain any offensive momentum.

Boyd Anderson quarterback Shabazz Telfort threw two touchdown passes early and ran for another to lead the Cobras offense.

Running back Deonta Nelson ran for 97 yards on 24 carries and put the game out of reach with a 1-yard touchdown with five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter.

The Cobras’ victory was painful, however, as Telfort left the game late in the first half with what seemed to be a leg injury and did not return.

Nesbitt also went down with a concussion right before halftime and was taken off the field by stretcher and attended to by paramedics for precautionary reasons.