Archbishop McCarthy and Monsignor Pace were scheduled to clash Wednesday night in the Gold bracket championship game of the High School Baseball Network’s March Madness tournament.
The game never took place.
Monsignor Pace (14-4) was declared the tournament champion after undefeated McCarthy (15-0), ranked No. 2 in the nation by MaxPreps, chose not to play.
The game was listed on HSBN’s website as a forfeit by McCarthy, however, it was unclear whether the game would count as a loss and therefore affect the Mavericks’ status in the national rankings.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
Archbishop McCarthy athletic director Tony Massaro did not return phone calls from The Miami Herald as of Wednesday night, and when reached by phone, baseball coach Rich Bielski declined to comment.
“I’ll only say that we were willing and ready to play this game,” Pace coach Tom Duffin said. “Between players, coaches, students, parents and administration, we were confident that Monsignor Pace would’ve conducted itself in the most professional manner and it’s an absolute shame that a game between two quality programs like this could not have been decided on the field.”
The Mavericks’ decision is believed to have stemmed from an incident of vandalism that took place at Archbishop McCarthy High that was first reported Feb. 1, only two days after a boys’ basketball game between the two schools.
According to multiple news reports at the time, students at McCarthy found offensive graffiti spray-painted on several walls at the school.
Students were later quoted saying they thought the incident was potentially retaliation for the lopsided result of the game played Jan. 30 between the longtime sports rivals, which are both Catholic schools and members of the Archdiocese of Miami in which McCarthy beat Pace.
Monsignor Pace athletic director Joe Zaccheo told the Miami Herald that the administrations of both schools came to an agreement following the incident to cancel any remaining athletic contests between the schools in every sport for at least the remainder of this high school year, which ends in late May.
Zaccheo said it was his understanding, however, that both schools would compete if such a game came to be as part of a tournament such as the HSBN event conducted at a neutral site or postseason contest.
Wednesday’s tournament game was scheduled to be played in Pompano Beach.
“Both schools agreed it would be better to have a cooling-off period so we unscheduled any games left for this year,” Zaccheo said. “We’ve always had a good healthy rivalry with them. Both our administrations get along and we know each other well and we have the utmost respect for them and their program.”
▪ Coral Park 4, Sunset 3: Michael Ordonez (2-1), 2 IP, H. Alex Gato 1-2. Bran Socorro 3-3, 2 R. Paul Castillo 1-3, RBI. Emanuel Montesino 1-3. CP 11-5.
▪ Doral 5, Lynn (Orlando) 3: Jose Ulloa (1-1) 5 IP, 3 K's. SV: Victor Cabrera 2 IP, K. Michael Marin 1-2, RBI. Eddie Cruz H, 2 RBI. DA 12-7.
▪ Belen 9, Krop 1: WP Pablo Arevalo 4 IP, 6 K’s, 0 R. CJ Vazquez 2-3, 2 2B, 3 RBI. Christian DelCastillo 2-4. Humberto Torres 1-2, HR, 2 RBI. BEL 9-8.
▪ Archbishop Carroll 22, Archbishop Curley 1: Alex Gonzalez (5-2), 3 IP, ER, 2 H, 4 K's, 2 BB. Alejandro Medina 1-1, HR, RBI, R. Alex Gonzalez 2-2, 2B, 2 R, 3 RBI. Lizandro Echemendia 2-2, HR, 4 RBI, 3 R. AC 13-3.
▪ Coral Reef 7, Miami High 6: John Stathepulos 6 IP, 4 K’s. SV: Fernie Marquez. Brent Cosculluela 2 H. Nate Rosa 2 H. CR 7-9.
▪ Archbishop Curley 7, Miami Country Day 2: Olya Seichrist (8-3), 10 K’s. Lauren Cardona 2 1B, R, RBI. Kaylin Ayuaca 2 R. Amanda Lesperance 2B, 1B, R, RBI. Abigail Lovelace 2 1B. AC 13-3.
▪ Archbishop McCarthy 6, Cardinal Gibbons 1: 1. Andrew Puglisi (AM) 8-4. 2. Fabien LaFontant (AM) 8-6. 3. Noah Torres (AM) 8-1. 4. Luis Gallego (AM) 8-0. 5. Nico Goncalves (AM) 8-2. Doubles: Colell/Soong (CG) 8-1. Goncalves/Riviati (AM) 8-2.
▪ Cardinal Gibbons 4, Archbishop McCarthy 3: 1. Cata Gonzalez-Umana (AM) 9-7. 2. Paola Gonzalez (AM) 8-3. 3. Brielle Gerraghty (CG) 8-0. 4. Noelle Gerraghty (CG) 8-6. 5. Sadie Harmon (CG) 8-3. Doubles: Gonzalez-Umana/Gonzalez (AM) 8-2. B&N Garraughty (CG) 8-3.
▪ North Broward Prep 7, David Poznack 0: Babb 8-0. Bakratze 8-4. Neira 8-2. Zeitler 8-2. Lion 8-6. Doubles: Babb/Bakratze 6-0. Neira/Zeitler 6-4.
▪ Archbishop McCarthy d. Chaminade-Madonna (25-14, 25-13, 25-22): AM (10-1): Leo DeQuadros 8 points, ace, 14 kills, 13 digs. Nicky Grossman 17 points, 2 aces, 18 digs. Luis Vazquez 17 points, 3 aces, 33 assists. CM (3-4): Ryan Seilkop 10 assists, 7 kills, 4 digs. Jamal Clarke 5 kills, block. Adam Fernandez 7 points, 7 digs, 2 kills.
▪ St. Brendan 14, Atlantic Delray 11: Carlos Clavijo 8 goals. Gabe Cardona 2 goals, assist. Jonatan Barrrionuevo 3 assists. SB 11-5.