On the first day of practice, senior co-captains Netty Silberman and Leon Almosny told their teammates that this was their year.
They were going to go back to the Class 1A state tournament, and they were going to make history for their school.
Talk about keeping your word.
Silberman scored a hat trick Monday night, including the game-winning goal in the first overtime period, as the Lions rallied to defeat the Community School of Naples 3-2 in the state semifinals at Melbourne High School.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
“Our dream is about to come true,” Silberman said.
The Lions (18-0-1) will play defending state champ Orangewood Christian (20-0-1) for the state title Tuesday night at 9:05 p.m. Orangewood Christian defeated Holy Trinity 2-1 (3-1 on penalty kicks) in the other semifinal.
Hillel coach Ben Magidson described the game as a pendulum swing, with the Lions controlling things early on Silberman’s first goal, the Seahawks bouncing back on a pair of goals by William Crowell and then Silberman coming through to tie and then win the game.
With the score tied 2-2 in overtime, Silberman got the ball on the left side of the box and was able to make the turn on the defense to get off a perfect shot.
“I knew I had to place it well,” Silberman said. “The goalie came out well, but I placed it to the bottom right corner. It was a great ball from my teammate, Daniel Franco. I couldn’t ask for a better ball.”
Getting big goals in key situations has been nothing new for Silberman throughout his career.
“He comes up clutch,” Magidson said. “I’ve had great players before. He elevates the play of those around him. They feed off his momentum.”
Tuesday’s championship game will be the first for the Lions since 2013, when Silberman was a freshman and did not play because of injury. Thanks to their clutch play Monday night, they’ll get another shot.
▪ Southridge 7, Braddock 2: WP: Ryan Margolis, 5 IP, 4 K’s, 2 BB. Top Performers: Dylan Krzeminski 2-3. Anthony Vargas 3-4. SR 1-0.
▪ Homestead 15, Carol City 2: WP: Tony Perez. LP: Jay Williams. Top Performers: Jose Navarro 2-4, 7 RBI, 2 HR. Jesus Diaz 3-3. Phil Gil 3-3, 2 RBI. HOM 1-0.
▪ Jackson 3, Sunset 1: WP: Jordan Cabrera (1-0) 7 IP, 2H. Top Perfomers: Ricky Guerrero 1-3, 2 RBI. JAX 1-0.
▪ Hialeah Gardens 1, Westwood 0: WP: Eddy Nodarse 5 K’s. SV: Arthur Cordovez. Top performers: Allan Berrios 2-3. Levis Aguila 1-3, RBI.
▪ TERRA 2, Coral Gables 1: WP: Andres Perez (1-0) 7 IP, H, 9 K’s. Top Performers: Ozzie Millet 1-2. Danny Labrador 1-2, RBI. TER 1-0.
▪ University School 17, Lake Worth Christian 2: WP: Jake Kubiliun 1-0. LP: Donnelly. Top performers: Kyle Oren 2-4, 2 R, 4 RBI. Sammy Guillorme 2-4, 2 R. Josh LaPrest 2-4, 2 R, 4 RBI.
▪ Coral Gables 15, Miami Beach 0: WP: Emma Cavo (1-1) 0H, 3 K’s, 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI, 3 R, SB. LP: Magdelena Demetriades. Top Performers: Kylie Santana 2-3, 2B, 5 RBI, R. Ali Bonilla 2-2, 2 RBI, 3 R, SB. CG 1-1.
▪ Krop 17, Miami High 0: WP: Karina Delarosa (2-0) 0H. Top Performers: Kassidy Klein 2-2, 3 RBI, 3 R. Marley Felder 2-2, 4 RBI. KRO 2-0.
▪ Southridge 17, Varela 0: WP: Casilyn Fraga (1-0), 0H, 2-4, 2 R. Top Performers: Britney Campbell 4-4, 4 R. Krystal Grants 3-2, R. Ariel Tilloston 4-3, R. SR 4-0.
▪ Archbishop Carroll 15, Posnack 0: WP: Justine Cinalli (1-1). LP: O. Dadon. Top Performers: Justine Cinalli 4-4, 2 1B, 2B, 3B, 4 RBI, 3 R. Naty Medina 3-3, 1B, 2 2B, 4 RBI, 2 R. Emily Capote 2-2, 2 1B, BB. Nicole Kozak 2-3, 1B, 3B, 3 RBI, 3 R.
▪ Jackson 4, Pace 3: Marquiese Johnson 9-8, 7-3. Alexis Torres 8-0. Moise Bertrand 8-1. Doubles: Johnson, Torres 8-2. JAX 2-0.
▪ Hillel 7, Dr. Charter 0: Myles Gilbert 8-0. Gad Lisker 8-0. Yair Lisker 8-0. Daniel Frank 8-1. Jonathan Fuhrman 8-1.
▪ MAST Academy 7, Carol City 0: Richie Torres 8-0. MA 1-1.
▪ Jackson 4, Pace 3: Rishona Lewis 8-0. Chacadyah Lewis 8-0. Nahriyah Beharry 8-0. Doubles: R.Lewis, C.Lewis 8-0. JAX 1-1.
▪ Hillel 7, Dr. Charter 0: Sarah Dreyfus 8-0. Alexa Cohen 8-0. Raquel Dimitri 8-0. Orli Algranatti 8-0. Sarah Waxman 8-0. Doubles: Cohen, Bonwett 8-2. Rosebaum, Major 8-0. Skolnik,Gamus 8-2. Ratzker,Simon Rimeris 8-5.
▪ MAST Academy 7, Carol City 0: Chrissy Texidor 8-0. Patricia Portabella 8-0. Sonsoles Lopez 8-0. Gabriella Mercado 8-1. MA 2-0.
GIRLS’ WATER POLO
▪ MAST 14, Coral Gables 6: Angie Varona 5 goals. Cara Mullery 4 goals. MA 1-0.
▪ Western 11, Northeast 6: Jenna Kelaner 7 goals.
▪ Cardinal Gibbons 23, South Plantation 6: Megan Gest 9 goals. Sarah Rider 18 blocks.
BOYS’ WATER POLO
▪ South Plantation 14, Cardinal Gibbons 13: P. Asworth 5 goals. Colton Richardson 9 goals. Nick Miller 2 goals.
▪ Mourning 17, Krop 3: Anthony Kaminsky 4 goals. Daniel Scotese 6 goals. Kyhel Vigille 4 goals. Francisco Randazzo 14 saves.
▪ MAST 20, Coral Gables 11: Paul Foreiter 6 goals. Kurtis Urguhart 4 goals. MA 1-0.
▪ Western 18, Northeast 11.
Class 2A state semifinal at Melbourne: Ransom Everglades vs. Orlando Bishop Moore, 6:30
Class 1A state championship at Melbourne: Hillel vs. Orangewood Christian, 9
Region 4-8A semifinal: Miami High at Flanagan, 7
Region 4-8A semifinal: Ferguson at Lourdes, 7
Region 3-8A semifinal: Coral Glades at Deerfield Beach, 7
Region 4-7A semifinal: Nova at South Broward, 7
Region 4-7A semifinal: Blanche Ely at Fort Lauderdale, 7
Region 4-6A semifinal: Doral at Norland, 7
Region 4-6A semifinal: Dillard at Northeast, 7
Region 4-5A semifinal: American Heritage at Riviera Beach Suncoast, 7
Region 4-4A semifinal: Gulliver at Booker T. Washington, 7
Region 4-4A semifinal: Calvary Christian at Cardinal Gibbons, 7
Region 4-3A semifinal: Archbishop Curley at Miami Country Day, 7
Region 4-3A semifinal: Palmer Trinity at Florida Christian, 7
Region 3-3A semifinal: Westminster Academy at Benjamin, 7
Region 4-2A semifinal: Zion Lutheran at Boca Grandview Prep, 7
Region 4-2A semifinal: Hebrew Academy at Miami Christian, 7
Last week’s best performances Miami-Dade performances
TEAM OF THE WEEK
South Dade’s wrestling team won its seventh consecutive GMAC championship. The Bucs’ individual champions were Elijah Varona (106 pounds), Peter Webb (120), Brevin Balmeceda (132), Ozzy Lugo (145), Chei Hill (195), Kyron Taylor (HWT) and Brianna Powell (HWT) in the inaugural girls’ championship.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
Marcian Higgins, Booker T., boys’ basketball: Higgins scored 14 points and had 13 rebounds to lead the Tornadoes to a 53-52 district-clinching win over Mater Lakes.
Eduardo Camacho, Miami Christian, boys’ basketball: Camacho had 31 points and 12 assists to lead the Victors to a 72-45 win over Champagnat Catholic and the District 15-2A title.
Mikayla Thomas, Gulliver, girls’ basketball: Thomas had 15 points and 13 rebounds to lead the Raiders to a 44-29 win over Monsignor Pace in a Region 4-4A quarterfinal.
Brienne Williams, Norland, girls’ basketball: Williams finished with 20 points and six rebounds to lead the Vikings to a 56-18 win over Miami Springs in a Region 4-6A quarterfinal.
Netty Silberman, Scheck Hillel, boys’ soccer: Silberman scored two goals to lead the Lions to a 2-0 win over Archimedean in the Region 4-1A final.
Victoria Munoz, Lourdes, girls’ soccer: Munoz scored in each of the Bobcats’ two games at state helping them finish as the Class 5A state runner-up.
Quinn McLeod, Miami Beach, boys’ tennis: McLeod won his boys’ singles match 6-3, 7-6 to help the Hi-Tides beat Coral Reef 4-3.
Andre C. Fernandez
Last week’s best Broward performances
TEAM OF THE WEEK
Freshmen stole the show as Marlee Fray scored the eventual game-winner and Taylor Dobles added an insurance goal with under a minute left as the Plantation American Heritage girls’ soccer team (22-1) beat Ponte Vedra 2-0 for the Class 3A state title, marking its fourth consecutive state crown.
ATHLETES OF THE WEEK
Ashley Saintigene, Northeast, girls’ basketball: Saintigene had 13 points and 16 rebounds to lead the Hurricanes (18-7) over Sebastian River 44-23 in the Class 6A regional quarterfinals, setting up a blockbuster rematch with defending state champion Dillard in the regional semifinals on Tuesday.
Justin Cohen and Raiden Johnson, Coral Springs, wrestling: Cohen (132 pounds) and Johnson (106 pounds) won their respective weight classes to lead the Colts to the BCAA wrestling title.
Myron Dewar, Coral Springs, boys’ basketball: Dewar had a team-high 28 points and 12 rebounds to help the Colts hold off Taravella 82-78 for the District 11-8A title.
Carli Caputo, Highlands Christian, softball: Caputo had three RBI and scored two runs in a 14-3 victory over King’s Academy.
Savannah Crump, Calvary Christian, softball: Crump struck out eight to pick up her first victory and drove in a run to lead the Eagles over Trinity Christian 14-1.
Paul Atkinson, Westminster Academy, boys’ basketball: The 6-9 junior had 13 points and a team-high 14 rebounds to lead the Lions over Sagemont 68-58 in the District 12-3A championship game.
Keyanna Warthen, Fort Lauderdale, girls’ basketball: Warthen scored 11 of her team-high 32 points in overtime to help the Flying L’s hold off defending Class 7A state champion Palm Beach Lakes 106-101 in overtime, marking a new record for combined points in a Florida high school game.