High School Sports

Explosive Belen Jesuit soccer team moves closer to goal of repeating as state champion

Belen Jesuit

Belen Jesuit seems to be playing its best soccer at the right time once again.

Credit the experience of a team which returned the bulk of its squad from last season and more importantly one that has achieved balance both on the attack and the defensive end.

The Wolverines showed both elements throughout Wednesday night’s dominant performance in an 8-0 rout of visiting Naples Golden Gate in the Region 4-5A final at Belen.

The Wolverines (17-5-1) advanced to play at Tampa Jesuit on Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Class 5A state semifinal in a rematch of last year’s state championship match.

“The core from last year’s team returned with nine of the main players that played a key role in us winning the state championship,” Belen coach Tanger Mendonca said. “It’s hard to go back-to-back, but we’re putting in the effort.”

The Wolverines, who won the Class 5A title last season over Tampa Jesuit in dramatic fashion, 2-1 in double overtime, didn’t take much time to get their attack rolling against Golden Gate.

It only took 13 minutes for Belen to break through when leading scorer Matias Perinot, who has 14 goals this season, found the mark.

Belen Jesuit

With just under 20 minutes left in the second half, Alejandro Pereyra headed home a cross which prompted the eight goal mercy rule sending the Wolverines to the next round.

Pereyra led Belen with three goals and an assist and Perinot scored twice. Seniors Stefano Naos and Lucas Richard each had two assists.

Belen hopes to join Gulliver, Sunset, Killian, Varela and Palmer Trinity as the only Miami-Dade schools to repeat as state champions in boys’ soccer. Doral Academy is also attempting the feat this season in Class 6A.

“It’s a team that we have worked hard in order to find that kind of balance,” Mendonca said. “They try to create offense but at the same time, they don’t let up on the defensive end and complement each other well.”

This story was originally published February 17, 2022 at 9:01 AM.

Andre C. Fernandez
Miami Herald
Andre Fernandez is the Deputy Sports Editor of the Miami Herald and has covered a wide variety of sports during his career including the Miami Marlins, Miami Heat, Miami Dolphins, University of Miami athletics, and high school sports.
Sports Pass is your ticket to Miami sports
#ReadLocal

Get in-depth, sideline coverage of Miami area sports - only $1 a month

VIEW OFFER