It seems like it just started, but the high school football regular season is already nearly one-third over as three of 10 weeks are in the books.
There was a little bit of movement in the Top 20 this week as Columbus fell hard to Carol City and things will get no easier for Chris Merritt and the Explorers this week with Booker T. Washington up to bat.
Speaking of Booker T., the Tornadoes jumped back up the top 10 with a remarkable double overtime win over Southridge on the road while the Bucs of South Dade surged into the Top 10 with a big win over Northwestern at Harris Field.
But the “tough beat” of the weekend went to the Rockets of Central who traveled to the nation’s capital and went blow for blow with St. John’s, the No 2 ranked Max Preps team in the nation, before dropping a 37-34, five overtime heartbreaker. Thus, despite the loss, Central barely dropped in our Top 20.
THIS WEEK’S TOP 20
1. Carol City; 2. St. Thomas Aquinas; 3. Deerfield Beach; 4. Central; 5. Plantation American Heritage; 6. Chaminade-Madonna; 7. Booker T. Washington; 8. South Dade; 9. Palmetto; 10. Southridge; 11. University School; 12. Columbus; 13. Jackson; 14. Plantation; 15. Cardinal Gibbons; 16. Northwestern; 17. Monsignor Pace; 18. Coconut Creek; 19. Coral Gables; 20. Miramar
MOVING IN: Coral Gables DROPPING OUT: Taravella
Games of the week
No. 12 Columbus (2-1) vs. No. 7 Booker T. Washington (2-1), Friday, 7:30 (Curtis Park)
Fresh off a huge win over Northwestern, Columbus was bubbling with momentum last week. And then the Explorers found out first-hand just how deep and stacked Carol City is as the Chiefs dominated from the opening whistle. Now, Columbus has very little time to recover with a Booker T. squad bubbling with its own momentum following last week’s remarkable double overtime comeback win over Southridge.
Don’t look for Columbus to get blown out this week but the Tornadoes showed last week just how remarkably a resilient and determined team they are and will show it again this week.
BD’s PICK: Booker T. Washington 27-17.
No. 20 Miramar (0-2) vs. No. 14 Plantation (3-0), Friday, 7 (PAL Field)
With two really tough close losses to start the season (Northwestern, American Heritage), Miramar might be the best 0-2 team in South Florida while head coach Steve Davis has the Colonels off to an impressive 3-0 start although they haven’t played the type of competition Miramar has. The thinking here is that its hard to believe a team like Miramar, still with its impressive Darkside Defense, can start the season with three losses and will find a way to pull out a close one.
BD’s PICK: Miramar 20-17.
No. 13 Jackson (3-0) at No. 15 Cardinal Gibbons (1-2), Friday, 7
Under first year head coach Scott Daniels, Jackson is off to a terrific 3-0 start with wins over Mourning, HML and North Miami. Now, the Generals are about to take a major step up in competition this week. After a nightmarish start to the season under the weight of huge expectations with two lopsided losses, the Chiefs started to right the ship last week with a solid win over Dillard. In the first district contest for both of these teams, look for Gibbons to continue trending back in the right direction and give the Generals their first loss of the season.
BD’s PICK: Gibbons 34-20.
The rest of the top 20
1. Carol City (2-0) vs. Norland (0-3), Friday, 7:30 (Traz Powell): Norland’s season is off to a terrible start and things won’t get better here. BD’s Pick: Carol City 37-12.
2. St. Thomas Aquinas(3-0) vs. Stranahan (1-1), Friday, 7 (South Plantation): The Raiders should roll in this district contest. BD’s Pick: Aquinas 41-9.
3. Deerfield Beach (3-0) vs. Blanche Ely (1-2), Saturday, 7: A neighborhood rivalry game that the Bucks will need to make sure they don’t take lightly. BD’s Pick: Deerfield Beach 38-13.
4. Central (2-1) vs. Edison (1-2) Saturday, 7 (Traz Powell): The Red Raiders are improved but the last thing you want to be is the team that has to play Central coming off a brutal loss. BD’s Pick: Central 37-13.
5. Plantation American Heritage (2-1) at No. 18 Coconut Creek (3-0), Friday, 7: Creek is trending in the right direction, but Heritage will be a big step up in competition. BD’s Pick: American Heritage 30-17.
6. Chaminade-Madonna (2-1) vs. Northeast (0-2), Friday, 7: The Lions win by whatever score they feel like. BD’s Pick: Chaminade 45-7.
8. South Dade (3-0) vs. Homestead (2-0), Friday, 7:30 (Harris Field): Homestead will turn in an inspired effort in this rivalry game but not enough. BD’s Pick: South Dade 27-20.
9. Palmetto (3-0) – IDLE
10. Southridge (2-1) vs. Killian (1-2), Friday, 7:30 (Tropical Park): The last thing you want to be is the team having to play Southridge after that crushing double overtime loss last week. BD’s Pick: Southridge 37-14.
11. University School (3-0) vs. Delray Village Academy (0-3), Friday, 7: Coach Danny Luque will be able to play plenty of backups. BD’s Pick: University School 48-6.
16. Northwestern (1-2) vs. Hialeah-Miami Lakes (0-3), Thursday, 7 (Traz Powell): The Bulls will be in no mood to fool around with an inferior opponent. BD’s Pick: Northwestern 49-7.
17. Monsignor Pace (3-0) at Delray Beach American Heritage (2-0), Friday, 7:30: The Spartans will be put to the challenge again with another tough road contest. BD’s Pick: Heritage 21-20.
19. Coral Gables (2-1) vs. Miami High (1-2), Thursday, 7 (Curtis Park): The Cavaliers make their top-20 debut and show off with an easy win over rival Stingarees. BD’s Pick: Gables 33-14.
Miami-Dade: Doral Academy vs. Sunset, (Tropical) 3:30; Doral 40-13; Belen Jesuit vs. Ferguson, (Southridge) 7; Belen 30-14; Varela vs. Coral Reef, (Harris) 7; CR 33-13; Miami Beach vs. Coral Park, (Tropical) 7:30; Beach 23-17; American vs. Hialeah (Milander) 7; American 20-16. Broward: South Plantation at Flanagan, 7; SP 17-13; South Broward at McArthur, 7; McArthur 27-14; Taravella vs. Monarch, (Coconut Creek) 7; Taravella 33-14.
Miami-Dade: Miami Springs vs Mater Academy, (Milander) 7:30; MA 26-14; Braddock at Southwest, 3:30; SW 28-17; Krop at Hialeah Gardens, 3:30; HG 22-14; Mourning vs. South Miami, (Tropical) 3:30; SM 38-9; Reagan at Goleman, 4; GOLE 28-13; Benjamin at Gulliver Prep, 4; GP 24-22; Coral Shores at Westminster Christian, 4; WC 20-17; Miami Christian at Somerset, 4; MC 27-17; Ransom Everglades at Palmer Trinity, 4; PT 28-21; Everglades Prep at Titusville Astronaut, 7; Astronaut 24-20; WPB King’s Academy at LaSalle, 7:30; Kings 28-23; Palm Glades Prep at Florida Christian, 7:30; FC 17-14. Broward: Hollywood Hills at Cooper City, 7; CC 21-20; Coral Springs Charter at Coral Glades, 7; CG 15-14; Pembroke Pines Charter at Cypress Bay, 7; CB 35-6; Western at Everglades, 7; Western 34-12; Fort Lauderdale at Vero Beach, 7; VB 34-16; North Broward Prep at Ft. Pierce John Carroll, 7; NBP 19-17; West Broward at Nova, 7; Nova 35-16; Suncoast at Pompano Beach, 7; Suncoast 24-20; Somerset Canyons at Westminster Academy, 7; WA 21-13; Archbishop McCarthy at Boynton Beach, 7:30; BB 23-17; Key West at Calvary Christian, 7; CC 27-24.
Miami-Dade: North Miami Beach vs. North Miami, (Milander) 7; NM 21-20; Broward: Dillard at Boyd Anderson, 7; Dillard 33-16; Piper at Douglas, 7; Piper 28-20.
LAST WEEK OVERALL: 37-12; SEASON OVERALL: 114-34
Bill Daley can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter: @Billykid11