It was hardly your classic pitcher’s duel, but in the end the Homestead Colonial Christian girls’ softball team had more than enough of offensive firepower to outscore LaSalle 25-22 to win the South Florida Conference Championship on Friday night at Miami Country Day.
Colonial, which also finished first in the conference standings, was led by Ariana Long, who was not only the winning pitcher but also helped herself with plenty of offense with a double, three RBI, five runs scored and a stolen base. For her efforts, Long was voted the game’s MVP.
Morgan Wells was voted by the conference coaches as Player of the Year and also came through against LaSalle with a single, double, four RBI and a stolen base. Shariah Edwards (three singles, three RBI, two runs) and Jenna Friman (three doubles, five RBI) were also key offensive contributors for CCS.
Other awards handed out at the game were Scholar Athlete of the Year, which went to Colonial’s Cynthia Suarez, and Wells, Long, Alexis Downing and Jessica Givens were named First Team All Conference. Colonial coach Lou Martinez was voted Coach of the Year.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Miami Herald
▪ Belen Jesuit 7, South Dade 4: WP: Brenton Mullis 6.2IP, 11 Ks, 1ER; SV: Alec Arrizurieta; Gabe DeZendegui 1-3; HR, 2 RBI, 2R; Esteban Rodriguez 1-1, 2 RBI; Armando Albert 1-1, 3R; Humberto Torres 1-3, RBI, R. BEL: 15-7
▪ Columbus 12, Somerset Academy 2: WP: Sammy Hernandez 3IP, 2 Ks, 3H; Chris Boher 2-2, 2H, 2 RBI; Matt Alfonso 1-3, R, 2RBI; Sebastian Seralta 1-1, HR, RBI; Oscar Benitez 1-3, 3R; Carlos Valderrama 1-2, HR, RBI. COL: 17-5
▪ Columbus 4, Braddock 0: WP: Chris Boher 6IP, 8 Ks, 2H; Carlos Linares 1-2, 2B, 2 RBI. COL: 16-5
▪ Lourdes 15, St. Brendan 0: WP: Nora Zubillaga (17-6); Nicole Gonzalez, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI; Stephanie Iglesias 3-3, 3R, 3RBI; Catherine Ullivarri 2-2, 2B, 2R; Maria Amat 3B, R; Gianna Delandaburu 3B, R; Kelsey Perdomo 2-2, RBI, 2R. LOU: 18-6
▪ Ransom Everglades d. St. Brendan 3-0 (25-14, 25-22, 25-21): Ryan Peluso 28 Kills, 12 digs, 2 aces; Will Drody 8 kills, 10 digs; Nick Stone 43 assists; Logan Courey 5 kills, 3 blocks
▪ Braddock d. TERRA 3-0 (25-16, 25-12, 25-12): Randy Inguanzo 30 assists, 5 digs, 6 pts; Alfredo Arevalo 7 kills; Eric Garcia 22 digs, 2 aces, 9 points. BRAD: 17-4
▪ District Tournament Playoff at Pepper Park — South Broward d. Mourning 4-3: Mishel Almahel, Maria Marin and Nicole Andrade won singles for SB. Marin/Megan Luechauer won No. 2 doubles to decide match.