After suffering an upset loss to Coral Gables in the first round of last year’s regional playoffs, the Palmetto girls’ soccer team needed little motivation Tuesday night when they once again squared off against the Cavaliers.
The venue was a GMAC quarterfinal contest, and thanks to a pair of goals each from Maria Butler and Emma Pardo, the Panthers exacted a little revenge with a 4-1 victory at Stafford Park in Miami Springs.
Miami Springs defeated TERRA 7-1 in the second game of the doubleheader and will square off against Palmetto (11-3-1) in the first of two semifinals at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Traz Powell Stadium. Defending GMAC champion Coral Reef will square off against MAST Academy in the second game at 7 p.m.
“Sometimes you have to work to get your girls focused and motivated, but I had very little trouble doing that leading up to tonight’s game,” Palmetto coach Sam Steele said. “Every girl remembers how they felt last year after losing that game, and I think they really wanted to come out here and get things right and played well.”
Palmetto, on the strength of a first half goal from Butler, took a 1-0 lead at the break and quickly made it 2-0 in the first minute of the second half when Pardo scored. Gables (12-5-1) sliced the lead in half when Anna Evans scored with 15 minutes left, but Palmetto answered quickly when Pardo scored her second goal two minutes later to give the Panthers their one-goal cushion back.
Emma Amaya scored off an assist from Gabi Cimino in the first minute of the game, and Miami Springs (16-1-2) never looked back en route to the easy win over the Wolves. Cimino led the way with four goals.
▪ MAST 4, Southwest 3 (3-2 PKs): MAST Academy trailed Southwest 3-1 in the second half at Coral Reef High before rallying on a pair of Carmen Martinez goals to send the game to immediate penalty kicks (no overtime in the first two rounds of GMACs), and MAST converted three of its five penalty kicks to pull it out.
▪ Coral Reef 8, Mourning 0: The undefeated Barracudas made quick work of overmatched Mourning, scoring eight goals before the game even reached halftime, ending the contest on the mercy rule at Coral Reef High. Bianca Mandrini and Rayquel Berry led the way with three goals each as Reef (15-0-2) has now outscored its opponents this season by a combined 109-4.
▪ South Dade 4, Killian 3: Alyssa Storey 2 goals; Isabella Noa 1 goal.
▪ Coral Reef 9, Killian 1: Alyssa Storey 1 goal.
▪ Taravella 2, Coral Springs Charter 1: Lucianna Scoppetta (T) and Kiana Tulloch (T) 1 goal each; Bailey Sweginnis (CSC) goal; Desiree Jenkins (CSC) 10 saves; Tar 13-1-1.
▪ Douglas 8, Deerfield Beach 0: Marley Hall and Jamie Morris 2 goals, 1 assist each; Gabby Barisone 2 goals; Krystina Masihy and Amanda Strauss 1 goal each; Jordan Ross, Arielle Hafetz, and Hannah Donoto 1 assist each; Emily Morris 3 assists.
▪ Douglas 11, Delray Beach-Atlantic 0: Jordan Ross 3 goals, 1 assist; Marley Hall and Amanda Straus 2 goals, 1 assist each; Emily Morris and Jordan Strauss 1 goal each; Cloe Groulx 2 goals; Hannah Donato 2 assists; Camila Pacocha and Shannon McEachern 1 assist each; Krystina Masihy and Camila Pacocha combined shutout; MSD 12-1-1.
▪ Cardinal Gibbons 3, FAU 1: Daton Montiel and Johnny Kass 1 goal each; Griffin Cerra and Manu Vega 1 assist each.