FIU fires football coach MacIntyre after third consecutive 4-8 season with signing day Wednesday
Mike MacIntyre has been fired as head football coach of the FIU Panthers.
MacIntyre, who just finished his third straight 4-8 season, has three years left on his contract.
Buying MacIntyre out of his contract is expected to cost FIU between $1.5 million and $2 million.
The announcement on MacIntyre’s status was made by FIU athletic director Scott Carr.
“I want to thank Mike for pouring three years of his heart and soul into the program and for solidifying the foundation,” Carr said in a statement. “Coach ‘Mac’ inherited a challenging situation three years ago, but he improved numerous areas within the program – from posting our highest-ever GPA to bettering the operations and budgets. The culture shift has been evident.
“This was a decision based solely off of on-field results, and, at this time, I felt our program needs to go in a different direction.
“While we have been more competitive on the field each of the past three seasons, unfortunately our win-loss record is not indicative of those statistical improvements.
“Winning championships and bowl games is our goal. With that standard in place, a comprehensive national search for a new head coach will begin immediately, and I will have no further comment until that process is completed.”
While that search takes place, defensive coordinator Jovan Dewitt has been named FIU’s interim head coach.
Recruiting will be an issue for Dewitt since the early-signing date begins on Wednesday. FIU, according to 247 Sports, has 11 players committed for the Class of 2025, but how many – if any – sign on Wednesday remains to be seen.
Another open question is whether FIU’s top players with eligibility remaining will return to play for a new coach.
Quarterback Keyone Jenkins, record-setting wide receiver Eric Rivers and linebacker Travion Barnes are the team’s biggest stars and could be poached off the transfer portal. Wide receiver Dean Patterson and freshman running back Devonte Lyons are other players FIU would want to keep if possible.
As for MacIntyre, 59, this was a disappointing end to his FIU career. He took over a program that had lost 16 of its previous 17 games.
After going 4-8 in his first season, MacIntyre got another year added to his contract as a reward from athletic director Scott Carr.
Clearly, the team was expected to rise from there, but it didn’t happen.
Further, MacIntyre — while unintended — angered Panthers fans and even former star players such as T.Y. Hilton when he said that FIU “hasn’t had a good history [in football] since the beginning.”
MacIntyre issued an apology after that news conference, and he also won his last game, beating visiting Middle Tennessee, 35-24, on Saturday.
But that was not enough to save his job.
As for his successor, one name that has been floated is UCF offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Tim Harris Jr.
Harris’ situation at UCF is uncertain. The Knights finished this season with a 4-8 record, and head coach Gus Malzahn announced that he has resigned to become offensive coordinator at Florida State.
It is possible that Harris will be a candidate for both openings – FIU and UCF.
Previously, Harris spent seven years at FIU, serving as running backs coach. He was also FIU’s offensive coordinator in that final season of 2021, when the team went 1-11 under head coach Butch Davis.
Harris, in his one year as a head coach, went 14-0 in 2014, leading Booker T. Washington High School to a state title.
As an athlete, Harris is in the Miami Hurricanes Sports Hall of Fame for his prowess in track and field. He was a four-time All-American in the 800 meters.
This story was originally published December 1, 2024 at 4:19 PM.