FIU football coach Mike MacIntyre apologizes for ‘history’ comment
FIU football coach Mike MacIntyre – however unintentionally – angered some FIU fans on Tuesday when he answered this reporter’s question.
On Wednesday night, he apologized.
But before we get to the apology, some context: MacIntyre’s previous job as a head coach was at Colorado from 2013 to 2018. With the Buffaloes, MacIntyre went 4-8, 2-10 and 4-9 before turning it around in Year Four with a sparkling 10-4 record.
At FIU, MacIntyre has similarly endured three losing years: 4-8, 4-8 and 3-7 this season with two games left.
On Tuesday, MacIntyre was asked by this reporter if he considered 2025 a “make or break” season.
“It’s always tough to rebuild a program,” said MacIntyre, who inherited an FIU team that had gone 1-16 in its previous two years.
“This program hasn’t had a good history since the beginning.
“I think our team is improved since our first year. We just haven’t gotten over the hump in close games.”
To that latter point, FIU is 1-4 this season in games decided by one score.
But it was MacIntyre’s comment about FIU “not having a good history from the beginning” that drew the ire of many fans and also some former players, including ex-Panthers star T.Y. Hilton, who commented on Twitter/X.
Here, in part, was MacIntyre’s response on Wednesday night:
“I would like to clarify and apologize for a comment I made during (Tuesday’s) press conference.
“What I intended to convey is that with any rebuilding process there are challenges. While those challenges are part of the journey, my comments did not properly reflect many historical achievements for our program.
“Hearing stories from former players has been incredible, especially about the five bowl appearances, the conference championship win (in 2010), the historic victory over the University of Miami (2019); and the bowl win in just our (ninth) year.”
Meanwhile, on Saturday, FIU will visit Kennesaw State (1-9) in a Conference USA game at Kennesaw, Georgia.
There is no hope of FIU in a bowl game this season. With that in mind, here are four takeaways regarding FIU football:
1. OPPORTUNITY ARISES
Kennesaw State has lost three straight games, including the past two in overtime.
In fact, after a 43-35 double-overtime loss to Texas-El Paso on Nov. 9, Kennesaw State fired coach Brian Bohannon.
Interim coach Chandler Burks took over and lost 23-17 in overtime to visiting Sam Houston last week.
FIU is an eight-point favorite, thus the opportunity.
However, it must be said that Kennesaw State’s only win this season was over a 7-2 Liberty team that beat FIU in overtime.
In other words, as MacIntyre said on Tuesday: “In our league, anybody can beat anybody.”
2. RIVERS CLOSING IN
Eric Rivers needs just 70 yards to become the fourth FIU wide receiver to reach 1,000 in a season.
He would join Hilton, Tyrese Chambers and Kris Mitchell.
“Eric keeps improving,” MacIntyre said of Rivers, who leads Conference USA in receiving yards and receiving touchdowns (nine).
3. BOCK’S BACK
MacIntyre said he was impressed with how well starting center John Bock II played in his return to the lineup last week.
Bock, who missed an entire calendar year due to an NCAA suspension for using a banned substance, had kept in shape by playing for FIU’s scout team.
“His ability to communicate (line calls) makes a big difference,” MacIntyre said. “If we had him all year, it would’ve made a difference. How much of a difference, I don’t know. But it’s a big positive to get back a starting lineman who can play center or guard.”
4. GOOD NEWS FOR BARNES
Panthers linebacker Travion Barnes, after missing one game due to a family emergency, returned to practice on Tuesday, and he is expected to play on Saturday.
According to MacIntyre, Barnes’ mother was hospitalized due to a difficult pregnancy.
“it was a scary time for the family and for all of us,” MacIntyre said. “She needed a blood transfusion, and it was nip and tuck for a while.
“But she and the baby are now fine.”
This story was originally published November 21, 2024 at 10:21 AM.