FIU’s projected starting center Jaheim Buchanon admits: Coach was right
Jaheim Buchanon wanted to be a running back, but his youth-league coach put him at center.
Buchanon reacted by quitting football for four years, playing basketball instead.
Now, nearly a decade later, Buchanon – a 6-3, 290-pound redshirt freshman – is on track to be FIU’s starting center when the Panthers open their season on August 31 at Indiana.
“I should have listened to him,” Buchanon said with a laugh this week when asked about his youth-league coach.
“I love the responsibility at center. You can make certain calls (on blocks) to put your team in a better position. You get to have control over the game. I feel smarter because I can see exactly and know exactly what I want to call.”
Buchanon, a Florida native, played for Lehigh Senior, starting all four years. He was a right tackle as a freshman, played left tackle the next two years and finished up as his team’s center.
After that, Buchanon earned scholarship offers from FIU, Army, Navy, Charlotte and Florida A&M, choosing the Panthers.
Last year, Buchanon made his college debut, playing in three games as a reserve.
“Nothing like it – amazing experience,” said Buchanon, who has a 3.5 grade-point average while majoring in mechanical engineering. “(Playing college football is) the dream. It’s what we all want to do growing up as a little kid.”
Buchanon is getting a shot at the center job because starter John Bock II will miss most of this season due to an NCAA suspension for having used a banned substance.
Assuming Bock returns late this season, Buchanon said he is open to competition.
“Bock is a great teammate,” Buchanon said. “He’s always helping me with my technique. He keeps encouraging me.
“He tells me to be confident. He tells me that I got it. He continues to help me on and off the field. Love Bock – great guy.”
Once Bock is eligible, it’s possible FIU could move one of the players to guard. Or not …
“That’s my brother,” Buchanon said of Bock. “But we will compete like always. It’s part of the job. Best man will play – no hard feelings.”
But that issue is for later in the season.
For now, Buchanon has his sights set on FIU’s opener at Indiana as that could be his first college start.
“I would be pretty nervous coming out – I’m a redshirt freshman,” Buchanon said. “But I will rise to the occasion. It’s what we do. After the first drive, you get the jitters out, and you just play football.”
THIS AND THAT
▪ FIU coach Mike MacIntyre, asked who had a great offseason, mentioned a unit as opposed to a player.
“Our whole offensive line had a phenomenal summer,” MacIntyre said. “They made all their running times on their conditioning tests.
“They are also stronger. All their maxes (in the weight room) are nine or 10 percent higher than they were in the spring. They made big jumps.”
FIU’s projected starting offensive line consists of left tackle Travis Burke, left guard Naeer Jackson, Buchanon at center, right guard Wyatt Lawson and right tackle JaDarious Lee.
▪ MacIntyre also said wide receiver Juju Lewis is in “much better shape” this fall. Lewis, who transferred in from Georgia Tech this past spring, is listed at 6-1 and 214 pounds.
▪ FIU quarterback Keyone Jenkins on how he feels as the start of the 2024 season approaches: “I’m well prepared and more confident in my teammates and myself. I feel great.”