FIU football team shocked by teammate’s year-long suspension; men’s soccer advances
When FIU football coach Mike MacIntyre broke the news, his entire team went – by his account – “numb.”
MacIntyre announced this week that FIU’s starting center, John Bock II, has been ruled out by the NCAA for one calendar year because of the use of a banned ingredient found in his supplement. MacIntyre said Bock will be eligible to return on Oct. 26, 2024.
According to MacIntyre, Bock went to a supplement store for a weight-gain product, and, after getting randomly tested by the NCAA, the banned substance was found.
“We tell our guys all the time: ‘Don’t take anything from a supplement store,’” MacIntyre said.
MacIntyre said Bock checked the label of the supplement, and it listed nothing banned by the NCAA. But sometimes those supplements can be contaminated when mixed at the factory, and that’s what got Bock in trouble, according to MacIntyre.
“It was a mistake, and John will learn from it,” MacIntyre said of Bock, the son of a former NFL offensive lineman who has also coached blockers in college. “It’s unfortunate.”
The good news, MacIntyre said, is that Bock can play up to four games next season, allowing him to take 2024 as a redshirt year. After that, he would still have two years left of eligibility.
Bock, who has had some nagging shoulder and knee injuries, can take the next 11-plus months to get healthy, work on his academics and get stronger in the weight room.
“John and his parents were crushed,” MacIntyre said of Bock’s initial reaction to the suspension. “Since then, he has been diving into his school work and hitting the weight room extra hard.
“All our players know John is a hard worker and a leader.”
The Bock suspension – coupled with starting guard Jacob Peace leaving the team prior to last week’s game – has left FIU hurting on its offensive line.
“We’re a (junior varsity) offensive line age-wise,” MacIntyre said. “We’re basically freshmen and sophomores.”
The starting line is now as follows: left tackle Travis Burke; left guard Naeer Jackson; center Ming Tjon; right guard Wyatt Lawson; and right tackle Phillip Houston. All five of those players are in either their second or third year in college.
That young line will be tested this week as FIU (4-6) visits Arkansas (3-7) on Saturday night at 7:30 on ESPNU.
Arkansas, a 30-point favorite on Saturday, has one signature win this season, beating host Florida 39-36 in overtime. In that game, Arkansas quarterback KJ Jefferson passed for 255 yards and two touchdowns. He also ran for 92 yards and one score.
Jefferson, 22, is in his third season as Arkansas’ starter. At the end of the 2021 season, he was named the MVP of the Outback Bowl. At the end of last season, he was the MVP of the Liberty Bowl.
“He’s bigger than some of our defensive linemen,” MacIntyre said of the 6-3, 247-pound Jefferson, who has played 42 games in five years at Arkansas.
Jefferson’s career numbers include completing 65 percent of his passes, 64 TDs and 18 interceptions. Jefferson also leads Arkansas this year with 343 rushing yards. For his career, he has rushed for 1,771 yards and 21 TDs.
FIU, meanwhile, has lost five of its past six games, and the Panthers need to win its final two contests – at Arkansas and at home against Western Kentucky – in order to become bowl eligible.
In contrast to Jefferson, FIU quarterback Keyone Jenkins is just 19 years old, has only nine games of experience and is much smaller at 5-11 and 190 pounds.
THIS AND THAT
▪ FIU is getting a $1.5 million guarantee to play at Arkansas. MacIntyre said he wants FIU to play a Power Five program such as Arkansas at least once every year.
▪ Next season, FIU will open at Indiana, and the Panthers will also begin a four-game series against Florida Atlantic. In 2026, FIU will visit South Florida, and, in 2029, the Bulls will visit the Panthers.
▪ FIU’s men’s soccer team beat visiting Mercer 1-0 on Wednesday night, advancing to the NCAA Tournament’s Round of 32 for the third straight year. On Sunday at 1 p.m., FIU will visit 11th-ranked Virginia (10-3-4) at Charlottesville. The winner will advance to the Sweet-16 round.
Against Mercer, goalie Tyler Hogan earned his career-high fifth shutout of the year. The game’s only goal – a tap in by Simon Afrifa – was set up by Phillip Hildebrandt’s brilliant crossing pass. Virginia had a first-round bye.