Jonnu Smith among notable FIU alums who were present at well-attended Spring Showcase
FIU athletic director Scott Carr said he is thrilled with the crowd of 2,000-plus fans that came out to watch the football “Spring Showcase” this past Saturday.
“I’ll never be satisfied until (the stadium is) full and there’s a waiting list,” Carr said. “But it’s a great start. I’ve had a lot of people tell me that they’ve come to spring games previously and never seen this many people, never felt this energy.”
Carr said he worked with FIU’s alumni association to get support for the event. He also promoted the showcase outside of FIU, aiming to attract families who wanted a fun event for kids. He also enlisted former FIU and NFL safety Johnathan Cyprien in an effort to bring ex-Panthers players back to campus. In fact, more than 30 ex-FIU players attended Saturday’s showcase.
“Johnathan is plugged in and involved,” Carr said. “I said, ‘Hey Cyp, let the guys know we want them back’.”
One of the players who came back on Saturday was tight end Jonnu Smith, who in March of 2021 signed a four-year, $50 million contract with the New England Patriots.
Smith said he was excited to be back on campus.
“I’m tempted to put a helmet and pads on right now,” Smith said. “It’s great having alumni here. With any successful program, you need stability. Having alumni coming back helps keep (current players) going in the right direction.”
FIU coach Mike MacIntyre said he’s happy with the depth he has at Smith’s old position, naming tight ends Rivaldo Fairweather; Iowa transfer Josiah Miamen; Jackson McDonald, who doubles as a long-snapper; and Kamareon Williams.
Smith, a 26-year-old Philadelphia native who now lives in Miami, said he has mentored Fairweather, who led FIU tight ends last year in catches (16) and yards (247).
“He’s a big, strong kid with a lot of potential,” Smith said of Fairweather, who is 6-5 and 245 pounds. “We’ve built a relationship over the years. He has amazing ability and a bright future.”
THIS AND THAT
▪ Panthers safety Dorian Hall revealed on Saturday that he has epilepsy, but he hopes to be cleared to play this fall.
▪ Wide receivers Kris Mitchell and Jalen Bracey – both injured at the start of spring – closed well. Bracey was especially impressive as a runner after the catch.
▪ MacIntyre said FIU is “thin in numbers” on the offensive and defensive lines.
▪ FIU’s quarterback picture is still unsettled. However, the Panthers are hoping that their running backs – led by Lexington Joseph, EJ Wilson, Kejon Owens, Hosea Robinson and Antonio Patterson – can take pressure off whichever starting QB emerges.
Wilson and Robinson, for example, each had rushing TDs on Saturday.
“Our running backs have done well,” MacIntyre said. “They’re attacking the line. They’re quick. They’re athletic.
“(Running back coach Eric) Hickson has done a good job with them. I think we have some runners who can make defenders miss in space. I also think they can be powerful through the line.
“Our running game will be critical.”
Hickson said there is no starter yet, adding: “They’re young and not battle-tested.”
▪ Carr on what he picked up from watching FIU’s football practices this spring: “I saw size and speed. We probably need more size and more speed. But I see a team better than (last year’s 1-11 record).”