This FIU Panthers safety recruit might become the next Johnathan Cyprien or E.J. Biggers
D’Mor Jean-Baptiste — FIU’s newest recruit — has a strategy on how to play safety.
“I go for the big hit in the first quarter to get the other team scared,” said Jean-Baptiste, a 6-1, 185-pound senior at North Miami Beach High. “By the second half, I go for the takeaway.”
NMB coach Jeff Bertani said Jean-Baptiste forced seven such takeaways last season, including four interceptions.
Bertani also noted that Jean-Baptiste had offers from North Carolina State, Syracuse and South Carolina but admitted that those schools weren’t “beating down the door” for his star safety.
“Tim Harris [FIU running backs coach and lead recruiter on Jean-Baptiste] did a great job,” Bertani said. “[Jean-Baptiste] wanted to stay close to home.
“I think D’Mor would’ve gotten more offers had there been spring practice this year. He would’ve gotten more attention because he’s a ballhawk and a hitter.”
Jean-Baptiste, No. 7 on the NMB roster, reminds Bertani of another safety who wore that same jersey years ago for the Chargers — Johnathan Cyprien, an ex-FIU star drafted in the second round by the 2013 Jacksonville Jaguars.
One of Jean-Baptiste’s mentors is another ex-NFL defensive back — E.J. Biggers, now North Miami Beach’s defensive coordinator.
Biggers, a seventh-round pick in 2009 who had an eight-year NFL career, said Jean-Baptiste is a quiet kid ... sometimes too quiet.
“He’s so chill, it [ticks] me off,” Biggers said with a laugh. “You can yell at him, and he always has the same demeanor. He says, ‘Yes, Coach.’ That’s just how he is.”
Biggers first met Jean-Baptiste in 2017. Jean-Baptiste, just a freshman at the time, was on the junior varsity, but he was already the biggest safety on the NMB campus.
By the second week of that 2017 season, the Chargers brought Jean-Baptiste to the varsity, and he earned his first career interception in just his second game.
“We saw our future,” Biggers said.
Jean-Baptiste has been a starter ever since, and FIU started recruiting him heavily two months ago.
The next step for Jean-Baptiste is to get stronger — he could eventually fill out to about 210 or 215 pounds. Jean-Baptiste also needs to continue to study film to become a master in play recognition.
“A friend of mine who played for Temple [former NFL safety Jaiquawn Jarrett] said D’Mor could play for Temple right now,” Biggers said. “I know [FIU coach Butch Davis] will do great with D’Mor.”
Jean-Baptiste, who shares NMB’s deep secondary with Howard University recruit Xavier Robiou, runs the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds and has earned a reputation as a playmaker.
“I remember he had a huge interception to clinch our (34-31 win against Enterprise High) in Alabama last year,” Bertani said. “He’s flourished with [Biggers’] coaching.”
THIS AND THAT
▪ FIU has six other recruits committed for the Class of 2021: middle linebacker Amahri McCray; cornerback Jakovi Bryant; safety Demetrius Hill; tight end Daniel Pilgrim, offensive tackle Kareem Harden and offensive guard Levontre Daniels. Hill (Miami Springs), Harden (Stranahan) and McCray (Northwestern) are all local.
▪ Former FIU quarterback James Morgan signed a four-year, $4-million contract with the New York Jets last week.
▪ FIU left tackle D’Antne Demery is on the watch list for the Outland Trophy, given to the nation’s top lineman.
▪ There were no ex-FIU players who made their major-league debuts from June 16, 2011 to August 30, 2018. Since then, however, two former FIU players — catcher Aramis Garcia (Giants, 2018) and infielder Edwin Rios (Dodgers, 2019) — have made their major-league debuts. Third baseman Austin Shenton, 22, could be next as he is on the 60-man Seattle Mariners roster.