The University of Miami women’s golf team is 13th at the 2016 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegiate after it posted a score of 302 in the second round of play in New Orleans on Monday.
Miami owns a two-round total of 593 as it heads into the final day of competition. The three-day event is being held at the par 72, 6,239-yard English Turn Golf and Country Club.
Freshman Dewi Weber led the Canes in Round 2 after she carded a 1-under-par 71. Weber’s second round score was a three-shot improvement from her opening around 74. Weber is currently ranked 21st in the tournament with a two-round tally of 145 heading into final round.
Junior Daniela Darquea heads into the final round of play ranked 28th and owns a two-round total of 146. Darquea posted two birdies on the front nine and one on the back nine for a 76 in the second round
Premium content for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Senior Kailey Walsh carded a second-round score of 75. She posted three birdies on the front nine and one on the back nine. Walsh heads into the final round of play with a score of 147.
Florida holds the team lead through two rounds with a score of 569.
▪ Nova Southeastern’s Alex Mateo was named the Sunshine State Conference Pitcher of the Week. The senior right-hander struck out 10 batters against Tuskegee on Friday night, tying his career high. Mateo allowed one hit against the Golden Tigers.
▪ Barry’s Amra Elezovic claimed her second SSC women’s basketball Player of the Week award in a row after scoring 20 of her game-high 24 points in the fourth quarter in a 78-75 win at Rollins.
▪ Barry’s Tray Leonard was named the SSC Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. Leonard also won the award on Feb. 1.
▪ Barry junior designated player Cheyanne Head was named the SSC softball Player of the Week for Feb. 15 after leading the Bucs to a sweep of Nova Southeastern to open league play. She went 9 for 10 with five doubles, eight RBI and six runs scored.
▪ Barry’s Ahmed Triki was named the SSC men’s tennis Player of the Week. Triki beat Valdosta State's Leo Blay, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5) at No. 1 singles in a matchup of two top-10 ranked players. … The Bucs’ Zuza Maciejewska was named the women’s tennis Player of the Week. Maciejewska won both of her singles and doubles matches last week.