Miami lands commitment from four-star tight end Jackson Carver after official visit
The Miami Hurricanes’ big weekend of official visits has landed them an oral commitment.
Jackson Carver, who was one of half a dozen players to spend the weekend on an official visit in Coral Gables, orally committed to Miami on Tuesday after wrapping up his weekend in South Florida.
He announced his pledge on Twitter.
“Just getting started,” he wrote, alongside the hashtag #committed.
Carver is a four-star tight end in Rivals.com’s rankings and the No. 466 overall prospect in the 247Sports.com rankings for the Class of 2023. The 6-foot-6, 220-pound receiver was also scheduled to take an official visit with the Iowa Hawkeyes later in June, but this was before he made his commitment. He also previously made the trip to Fort Lauderdale for the Hurricanes’ spring game in April.
Carver is a newcomer to football and just landed a scholarship offer from Miami in April, a few weeks before his unofficial visit. He was primarily a hockey and lacrosse player until a few months ago, when he left his hometown in Minnesota and transferred to Culver Academies in Indiana for his senior year. He actually made the move for lacrosse — he at one point orally committed to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish — but gave football a shot since the season no longer overlapped with hockey, and found immediate success, catching 27 passes for 292 yards and three touchdowns. He reclassified to the 2023 class, transferred again to the Loomis Chaffee School in Windsor, Connecticut, for a post-graduate year and is now one of the fastest-rising prospects in the country with more than 30 offers, all coming in the last eight months.
The Hurricanes are hoping Carver’s natural athletic gifts will let him keep blossoming as a prospect. He also played defensive end at Culver last year, and participated in track and field, dropping lacrosse to focus more on his football development.
With Carver in the fold, Miami are now up to six prospects committed in their 2023 recruiting class. Carver is the third highest ranked player in the class behind four-star Palmetto athlete Robby Washington and Antonio Tripp, a three-star interior lineman from McDonogh in Owings Mills, Maryland.
The Hurricanes also hold commitments from three-star Miami Central wide receiver Lamar Seymore, three-star LaSalle tackle Frankie Tinilau and three-star linebacker Bobby Washington, who’s the twin brother and teammate of Robby Washington.
The Hurricanes hope their class could grow by the end of the week, too. Reid Mikeska, another three-star tight end, is nearing a decision after he also spent the weekend at Miami. The 6-foot-6, 233-pound from Bridgeland in Cypress, Texas, has narrowed his options down to the Hurricanes and Oklahoma Sooners, and said in a text message, “Nothing has changed” with Carver’s commitment.
Coach Mario Cristobal and Co. are open to taking multiple tight ends in this recruiting class with tight end Will Mallory
Miami’s other four official visitors from the weekend were also all out-of-state prospects: five-star defensive lineman David Hicks, four-star defensive lineman Sydir Mitchell, three-star interior lineman Connor Lew and Tripp.
None of those four — not counting Tripp, who is already committed — have said any commitment is imminent, and Hicks and Lew still have additional official visits coming later this month.
This story was originally published June 14, 2022 at 1:30 PM.