What does DeSantis’ executive order mean for fans at Canes games? UM’s still evaluating
The state of Florida is pushing to reopen after Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday, which requires bars, restaurants and nightclubs to reopen state wide, superseding local orders even as the COVID-19 pandemic continues. The order also lifts restrictions on the number of people who can attend outdoor sporting events.
Hard Rock Stadium was still limited to 13,000 fans Saturday and won’t host another Miami Hurricanes game until Oct. 17, and Blake James said he isn’t sure how the order will affect home games moving forward.
“We will continue to evaluate and announce any changes when decisions are made based on direction and guidance from health experts and government officials,” the athletic director told the Miami Herald in a text message.
While the No. 12 Hurricanes have allowed fans in the stadium for each of their first two home games, Miami didn’t give out student tickets in an effort to prevent spread of the coronavirus on campus.
The Hurricanes still fell about 5,000 fans short of their allowed capacity for their season-opening win against the UAB Blazers. Miami expected to come much closer to the 13,000 allowed Saturday against the rival Florida State Seminoles. Prior to DeSantis’ order, outdoor sporting events were allowing fans at 25 percent capacity.
Miami receivers return
The Hurricanes’ pass-catchers are back at full strength Saturday against Florida State.
Wideout Jeremiah Payton and tight end Larry Hodges are both available for No. 12 Miami after missing the Hurricanes’ 47-34 win against the then-No. 18 Louisville Cardinals for undisclosed reasons last Saturday.
Miami’s policy is not to disclose whether players have tested positive or been exposed to COVID-19, but at least one player did not travel to Louisville, Kentucky, because of a COVID issue, a source told the Miami Herald on Friday, and at least two players were exposed to the virus last week. On Wednesday, coach Manny Diaz said it was a possibility they could both be back against the Seminoles.
The Hurricanes also did not list backup punter Matias Gasc on their pregame availability report after he missed the first two games, but offensive lineman Issiah Walker Jr. is still unavailable. He’s still awaiting word from the NCAA on the possibility of a waiver to play immediately after transferring from the Florida Gators in May. Diaz said Wednesday there was no update on the freshman’s status.
Payton was effectively Miami’s No. 4 in a season-opening win against the UAB Blazers, catching one pass for 13 yards. With him sideline last weekend, the Hurricanes essentially only used wide receivers Mike Harley, Mark Pope and Dee Wiggins, with freshmen Michael Redding III and Keyshawn Smith both playing fewer than 10 snaps.
At tight end, the Hurricanes lean almost exclusively on starters Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory, but Hodges is the No. 3 tight end on the depth chart.
This story was originally published September 26, 2020 at 7:10 PM.