Two top Miami recruits ‘relieved’ after rejecting FSU and UNC. ‘It’s a Canes thang’
The social media buzz began Wednesday night, when nationally heralded Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna kicker Andres Borregales posted on Twitter that he would “stay home and represent my city’’ after flirting heavily with the University of North Carolina.
He already had committed more than a year ago to the Miami Hurricanes’ class of 2021.
It climaxed Thursday morning when stellar Chaminade running back Thaddius Franklin posted that he was “shutting my recruitment down’’ to “stay home’’ — three days after he told CaneSport.com that Florida State was neck-and-neck with Miami for his future services.
He had committed for the second time to the Canes’ class of 2021 this past February after decomitting for about two months.
“Relief’’ was the word both teenagers used in separate conversations Thursday with the Miami Herald.
Canes lovefest
The tweets by the pair of 2019 Florida Class 3A state champions ignited a lovefest among Hurricanes’ football coaches and fans, who showered the pair with glowing praise and appreciation. The mini-trend has been punctuated by other UM commits reiterating their allegiance, adding intrigue and value to coach Manny Diaz’s exceptional 2021 recruiting class — nicknamed #2Rings1Chain and ranked as high as 10th by Rivals.com.
By Thursday evening, UM had gotten another Hollywood-Chaminade commit, but this one —three-star defensive end Jamaal Johnson — became the first commit for the 2022 recruiting class.
Franklin, a four-star prospect rated by 247Sports as the nation’s 10th best tailback, said he finalized his decision because it was simply “best for me.’’
“I feel like we have a chance to go for the national championship with the 2021 commits we have now. I was always Miami at heart, so I had to stick with what my heart was telling me.’’
Borregales, considered the top prep kicker in the country by Kornblue Kicking and winner of the coveted “golden shirt,’’ he said, as the best performer among the top 12 in Chris Sailer’s recent Texas camp, said he had been discussing the situation for a long time with his family. The discourse rose a notch Wednesday evening, when the 17-year-old “had a very deep and serious conversation, and did a pros and cons sheet for Miami and North Carolina.’’
“There were ultimately more cons with UNC than UM. It was a pretty easy choice. ‘’
Each of the current and future teammates then called the newest school that tempted him and broke the news. Franklin spoke with FSU receivers coach Ron Dugans, who previously held the same title at UM. Borregales phoned UNC special teams coordinator Jovan Dewitt.
FSU reaction
“I felt bad, but I had to tell them,’’ said Franklin, who ran for 2,282 yards and 28 touchdowns on 288 carries, caught four passes for 50 yards, and completed 5 of 9 passes for 123 yards, a touchdown and an interception as a Wildcat quarterback last season. “Coach Dugans said he understands this is home and if anything changes, he said, ‘We’re still here.’’’
Said Borregales of the UNC coaches: “They completely understand. I do live in Miami. I was raised here.‘’
Not only that. Borregales’ older brother, Jose, the finest kicker in FIU history, transferred to UM in January after hitting field goals of 29-, 50- and a school-record 53 yards in FIU’s 30-24 win over Miami last November. Jose has one year left of eligibility, and is expected to be followed by his illustrious little brother.
“Jose was going to be 100 percent behind me no matter what, but he’s happy I chose UM,’’ said Andres, who also goes by Andy. “The UM fans were pumped. They’re saying we’re locked in with a kicker for five years.’’
UM reaction
The coaches were even more jazzed, as both players relayed the news to them Wednesday night. Borregales spoke to UM special teams coordinator Jonathan Patke before he posted his momentous tweet. Franklin spoke with UM coach Manny Diaz and running backs coach Eric Hickson, whom he said told him “to let people know Thursday.”
“...After talking to my family I think it’s best for me to stay home and further my academic and football career at the University of Miami,’’ Franklin tweeted “With that being said I am shutting my recruitment down.”
“...I have been committed to this University for over a year and will remain committed and so I think it’s time to end my recruitment process and let everyone know that I will be signing with [UM] and focusing on my craft to become the best player I can be,’’ Borregales tweeted.
“They told me I made their night,’’ Franklin said. “I feel good. Some fans who were bashing me and saying I was running from competition apologized. I understand.”
The Canes now have 19 players committed for the 2021 season, including five-star safety James Williams, who announced his decision Tuesday, saying he is “shutting down’’ his recruitment and “will always and forever rep my city to the day I die.’’
Joining them in doubling down on a signing pledge was tight end prospect Kahlil Brantley.
“We will trend all night if you let us!!’’ UM director of recruiting David “Pop” Cooney tweeted Wednesday. “It’s a Cane thang you wouldn’t understand....Stay thirsty my friends.’’
This story was originally published July 23, 2020 at 4:46 PM.