Why was Carson Williams playing 2B for Rays on Monday?
Why Carson Williams was making his first major-league appearance at second base in Monday's game is a bit of a complicated story.
Williams, a right-handed-hitting infielder, was called up Sunday when lefty-hitting outfielder Jake Fraley was placed on the injured list due to a hernia that will require surgery Tuesday and then sideline him six to eight weeks.
Part of the reason Williams was called up was that the two lefty-hitting outfielders the Rays had at Durham and on the 40-man roster, Jacob Melton and Victor Mesa Jr., are both injured.
But there was another reason:
Ben Williamson, the right-handed hitting infielder who has impressed with his defense, versatility and overall high-level play, has been dealing with back tightness.
That explains why he made only one appearance in the weekend series versus Miami, pinch-hitting Friday and playing an inning at second.
Manager Kevin Cash did not rule out a stint on the 10-day injured list for Williamson.
"(We) don't know yet," Cash said. "Obviously he'd be in there (Monday versus Orioles lefty starter Trevor Rogers), so it's pretty tight. He woke up feeling better today, (but) a sneeze, a cough, that can kind of re-aggravate it. So we'll still continue to go day-to-day."
Williams at times was considered among the top shortstop prospects in the game after being the Rays' 2021 first-round pick and played only there during two previous major-league stints, including seven games at the start of this season when Taylor Walls was injured.
But the Rays last year started to expand Williams' versatility, having him play six games at third base. That process continued this season with four starts at second and another at third.
Williams said he "absolutely" took it as a good move that could increase his opportunity to get back to the majors.
"As long as I'm here and I'm helping the team out, that's what I want," he said. "I want to help this team win, and wherever they want to put me to do that, I'm here for."
Williams, who has struck out in more than 40% of his big-league at-bats, said also he improved his discipline and decision-making on off-speed pitches.
"The swing-and-miss in zone went down a lot, which I was super, super happy with," he said. "The more I put the ball in play, the better, because when I do put the ball in play, it usually comes off pretty hot. So just making sure I'm swinging at the right pitches and where I want them into my strengths."
Monday, he struck out and popped out and was lifted for a pinch-hitter in the fifth inning when the O's switched to a right-handed reliever.
Pitching shuffle, too
Cole Sulser, among the more pleasant surprises in the Rays bullpen, was placed on the 15-day injured list due to a low back strain, retroactive to Friday.
Cash said Sulser's back became an issue during Thursday's off-day after the return from Toronto.
"We were kind of taking it day-to-day-to-day and then it continues to kind of lock up. He went and played catch (Sunday) and felt fine, got off the mound and it kind of locked him up again. So, we felt like, given it was already three or four days since he was down, let's just see if we can clean it up and not push anything too much."
Chase Solesky, who spent three days on the active roster earlier this month but didn't get to make his major-league debut, was recalled.
Also:
• Lefty Steven Matz came through his Sunday bullpen session feeling good and will rejoin the rotation for Wednesday's series finale vs. the Orioles.
• Right-hander Joe Boyle, sidelined since April 10 with a right elbow strain, was activated off the injured list and optioned to Durham, where he will continue to be stretched out to a starter workload.
Wander Franco trial update
Dominican Republic prosecutors on Monday completed their presentation of more than 100 pieces of evidence in the re-trial of Rays shortstop Wander Franco on charges of sexual abuse of a minor.
Franco was found guilty last June and sentenced to essentially two years of probation. Both sides appealed, and prosecutors have said they are seeking a five-year prison term.
Franco, who has not played for the Rays since August 2023, told the Dominican newspaper Diario Libre: "We are very calm, in the faith of God, waiting for justice. I leave that to the hands of the judges."
The trial resumes Wednesday with presentation of the defense's case; a verdict is expected by May 26.
Miscellany
New Orioles manager Craig Albernaz, an Eckerd College product, said it was "awesome" to be at Tropicana Field and managing against the Rays, for whom he spent seven years as a minor-league player and five as a coach/manager. ... Hot-hitting catching prospect Caden Bodine is being promoted from Class-A Charleston (S.C.) to High-A Bowling Green, where he will share time with another highly-rated catching prospect, Nathan Flewelling. ... The Rays were the first American League team to 30 wins for the fourth time in the last seven seasons.
• • •
Sign up for our Sports Today newsletter to get daily updates on the Bucs, Rays, Lightning and college football across Florida.
Every weekday, tune into our Sports Day Tampa Bay podcast to hear reporter Rick Stroud break down the biggest stories in Tampa Bay sports.
Never miss out on the latest with your favorite Tampa Bay sports teams. Follow our coverage on X and Facebook.
Copyright 2026 Tribune Content Agency. All Rights Reserved.
This story was originally published May 18, 2026 at 7:42 PM.